SOLVED

Is there a way to have a global web part for a site or hub?

Copper Contributor

Our SharePoint sites have several elements that are repeated throughout the hub, like buttons and calls to action. It would be ideal to be able to update those once and have that web part update on all pages it appears. Is that possible?

4 Replies
You should be able to achieve this by building it in SPFx. You can read more about this here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/spfx/sharepoint-framework-overview?WT.mc_id=M365-MVP...
Regards, Magnus
best response confirmed by haboylan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@haboylan The "Out-of-the-box" web parts can not be duplicated in the way you describe. Sites and pages can be made into templates with the help of PnP. However, this does not solve your request to update a web part on one page and have the same configuration to be made on different sites. 

As described in earlier post, you could create your own SPFx web part and deploy it to all sites in the tenant. But I do not think that is what you were looking for, because that would mean that you need to create a new web part for each "element"

@ArefHalmstrand  - Yes. I was hoping for an easy, out-of-the box solution that my content editors could make use of. 

I agree and I could definitly see myself using "global" applications like that. Maybe something to add in the uservoice! :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by haboylan (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@haboylan The "Out-of-the-box" web parts can not be duplicated in the way you describe. Sites and pages can be made into templates with the help of PnP. However, this does not solve your request to update a web part on one page and have the same configuration to be made on different sites. 

As described in earlier post, you could create your own SPFx web part and deploy it to all sites in the tenant. But I do not think that is what you were looking for, because that would mean that you need to create a new web part for each "element"

View solution in original post