SOLVED

Is the SharePoint created in MS Teams replacing the Classic Office 365 SharePoint Teams site?

Iron Contributor

Hi All,

I am confused with what SharePoint site I should recommended for our company. What is the difference with the SharePoint site generated by Microsoft Teams (https://teams.microsoft.com/) and the classic SharePoint Online created in the Office 365 SharePoint Admin Centre (https://portal.office.com/adminportal/)?

Is the SharePoint created in MS Teams replacing the Classic Office 365 SharePoint Teams site? What are the differences?

Does anyone have a video that clearly highlights the difference with the two SharePoint environments?

I hope you can help

6 Replies
Sites have been group connected for awhile by default now when creating them from SharePoint home. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/UPDATE-Create-Office-365-Groups-with-team-sites-fr...

The Teams SharePoint sites are no different than those group connected sites other than they have a Team attached to them and the Team uses the Default "Documents" library to store it's files.

Matt Wade did an awesome infographic detailing what gets created with a Group and when etc. Anytime you create something that is group connected you get a certain set of apps that are integrated with it. I recommend reading over it as it's fairly accurate still today: http://icansharepoint.com/everyday-guide-office-365-groups/

As for classic sites and or communications sites, they are stand alone SharePoint sites, not tied to any Office 365 group. They have their own permissions as SharePoint always has had. The classic SharePoint sites however can now have their default views for lists and libraries use the Modern UI, but this can be disabled through site admin settings or the list settings for those individual lists as well.
But to answer your question they aren't Technically getting replaced at all, but the direction is being more pushed twards group connected sites. This is a very good session from Ignite that goes over Group sites, all the new features which most are now live. Communication sites, future hub sites. etc. etc. Highly recommended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDNhf5h-CN4

Office 365 Groups seems so easy to create and delete from outlook. Groups seem very temporary like an outlook distribution list or shared mailbox. When you delete a Group it deletes everything, the Planner, SharePoint site, Teams...

The Groups\Teams SharePoint site reminds me of the old SharePoint 2010 Workspace, where a temporary SharePoint site was created to work on a document. Members of staff would all edit and work on the document. When they had finished with the document you would delete the workspace. SharePoint 2010 Workspace was very temporary.

We are storing very important documents and records that need to be stored for many, many years (20+ years). Our company requires a more permanent SharePoint site that cannot easily be deleted, for example the staff member would need access to the Office 365 Admin Centre and not from an Outlook account.

We need to know where to store these very important documents and records. SharePoint Site Collection or MS Groups\Teams SharePoint site.

• Group\Teams SharePoint site = Temporary Documents.
  • Office 365 SharePoint Site Collection = Permanent Documents and Records.

What I do not want to happen is 5 years down the line finding out I should have stored the documents in Groups instead of Office 365 SharePoint Site Collection

Come on Microsoft point me in the right direction. 

When your talking long term solutions then classic sites are still going to be your go to choice since all the Records and a lot of the document management items haven't been moved over to modern just yet.

Technically you don't have to worry about sites getting deleted because you could place sites under preservation etc. But I wouldn't use a group for a records management type setup and stick to classic for now for those types of sites.
best response confirmed by CEStar321 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
"What I do not want to happen is 5 years down the line finding out I should have stored the documents in Groups instead of Office 365 SharePoint Site Collection. "

You can attach existing sites to group sites soon, if there was some need for that using the "Groupify" method so that's really not an issue because you'll be able to change that if you need to later.
Thanks Christopher you have answered all my questions.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CEStar321 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
"What I do not want to happen is 5 years down the line finding out I should have stored the documents in Groups instead of Office 365 SharePoint Site Collection. "

You can attach existing sites to group sites soon, if there was some need for that using the "Groupify" method so that's really not an issue because you'll be able to change that if you need to later.

View solution in original post