Is it possible to restrict users from editing an excel file online?

Brass Contributor

Greetings,

I have this sharepoint page using excel web access that displays the content of the excel file.

I'm trying to find a way to show an excel sheet to a set of users, but these users can only download a copy. THey can see the content displayed in the excel web access webpart, but that is it. 

They should not be able to edit the file using Excel Online or simply editing in Excel application, otherwise that would ruin content of this excel file. (Trying to keep it as the original file).

They should, however, be able to download a copy of this excel file. I have this excel file in a hidden library from the user. 

Sadly the Excel Web Access webpart has nice option that prevents editing, but also unable to download a copy or a snapshot. (I feel this should be all separate)

If a user clicks on the title URL link, it will take them to the excel online of the file and there they can edit it.

My question is...is it possible to restrict the editing of this file online and offline and be able to only just download a copy? 

My workaround to this so far is to just disable the download in the webpart and perhaps create a "Download Link"... but I don't know how useful is that 

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2 Replies
If you want those users to edit the file, your only choice is just to give then "view only" permissions

@Jonathan Nunez 

Hi! Did you find out if it's possible to restrict user from editing?