Is it possible to embed a web app without PowerApps

Brass Contributor

I have a PHP web application that I would like to size for embedding on a modern SP page. PowerApps would have worked for this but for the fact that the licensing structure for PA is totally unrealistic for an organization of our size on a per user basis.

Is this possible, or am I out of luck (essentially having to put this on its own page with just a link on our SP page)?

Thanks. 

5 Replies

Hi @CW_213 

what about Embed WebPart?

Cheers,

Federico

@Federico Porceddu 

From what I can see, that's for embedding media content (youtube videos, etc.) and not for applications.

Hi @CW_213 ,

nope :) It is basically an out of the box WebPart that can host an iframe snippet.

Take a look at the documentation (or try it directly, it's not complicated with basic HTML knowledge).

Here you can find some critical points.

Embed code must be iframe-based (that is, start and end with <iframe> tags). Embed code that uses <script> tags is not supported.

Only secure web sites can be embedded. Make sure the URL of the web site begins with HTTPS.

Not all websites allow their pages to be embedded, so you may not be able to embed them, even when they are secure and use iframe-based embed code. If you have problems, check with the website to see if they allow embedding.

Site collection administrators can control whether users can embed content from external websites. If they don't let contributors embed content, you may see an error message that says, “Embedding content from this website isn't allowed.” See your administrator and/or the help article Allow or restrict the ability to embed content on SharePoint pages.

Cheers,

Federico

OK thanks. I have had some experience trying to get this to work in the past and as I recall I kept having issues with restricted content (like putting a Google search field on a page) - incidentally doing this with PowerApps is easy, but does not work with the iFrame. Let me see if I can get it to work with our application. Thanks.

Hi @CW_213 ,

exactly, if you already have a PowerApp, you can embed it in a SharePoint page

but basically it's in iFrame, so just can use Embed WebPart, and follow general advice.

In my personal opinion, Embed WebPart is not the best from a UI point of view, especially with responsive (or resizing page) requirements.

It's fine for multimedia content, or small content, but not for a single page application.
If you don't need the SharePoint context, and you can allow users to navigate to another browser tab, it's probably best to set up a simple link.

But this is just my point of view :)

Cheers,

Federico