Is it possible to declare records at folder level?

Brass Contributor
Hi, I have switched on "Record Declaration" in SharePoint Online. I would like to declare all documents as records in a folder and all folders below. is this possible? Thanks for your time, Ollie
6 Replies
Yes, it's possible...if you use the "Modern declare as record feature" based on retention labels, you only need to apply the label to the folder and automatically it will declare as record and all the contents in the folder
Thanks Juan, Is there any documentation or literature on how to do this? Ollie

@Oliver McErlane Please find the detail steps to do declare a folder as record.

First Activate In Place Records Management for your site collection

**This is done once for the whole site collection.

1. Click on the settings gear and then on Site settings.
  2. Click on the link 'Site collection features' in the group Site Collection Administration.
  3. Activate In Place Records Management.

Second Define the restrictions (Optional we will use default)

1. Define as per your need and again this is for whole site collection

Third Define restrictions for the library

1. Open the library settings.
  2. Click on the link 'Record declaration settings' in the group Permissions and Management.
  3. Select "Always allow the manual declaration of records"clipboard_image_0.png

Fourth Mark Folder as record

1. Select the folder you want to mark as record.
  2. Go to the top ribbon and selact "Declare Record"

clipboard_image_1.png

Please let me know if this helps.

You will need to use a modern document set for labels to inherit to files within it. They appear as folders to the user. Create a label that is declare as record on the compliance centre and publish to the SharePoint site, create a content type for the modern doc set, add to library. Create a new doc set and set the Label to be the record and then add files to it https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Update-Document-Sets-in-Modern-Document-Libraries/...
Thanks for this. When I try that, I get the attached..

@Oliver McErlane I'm not sure if you ever got this working, but did you switch from a Folder content type to a Document Set folder type?