SOLVED

Is it possible to change default Office document templates for all sites/libraries across a tenant?

Brass Contributor

We have branded templates for common Office documents (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) that we want to proliferate across the company. To support this effort, I'm trying to identify a way to replace the default blank templates that currently show when a user creates a new document via a SharePoint library:

2017-10-04 11_42_01-Microsoft Edge.png

I was able to accomplish this for a single library on a single site utilizing content types, but have yet to discover how to replicate the experience across all sites in the tenant without user interaction.

I have been playing around with the Content Type Hub site, but can't seem to quite get the experience that I'm looking for. See mocked screenshot below for example of ideal experience:

2017-10-04 11_51_05-Microsoft Edge.png

Ideally, this experience would be identical across Group sites, Team Sites, and Communications Sites. Any pointers anyone can provide would be appreciated!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
you are on the right track by using the CT hub, the next step will be to use the PnP provisioning tools to extract your library settings and apply them to other sites, this can be done with powershell, see https://github.com/SharePoint/PnP-Provisioning-Schema to get started.

in the old days you could configure the office clients to use a folder on a file share to host the templates, but, unfortunately, that exact functionality is no longer available in SharePoint, 

Thanks for a quick response. I'll try this and report back!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
you are on the right track by using the CT hub, the next step will be to use the PnP provisioning tools to extract your library settings and apply them to other sites, this can be done with powershell, see https://github.com/SharePoint/PnP-Provisioning-Schema to get started.

View solution in original post