SOLVED

Is Connecting multiple Sharepoint Lists Really Worth it?

Copper Contributor

Hi

I would like to create a relationship between 2 Sharepoint lists. but considering the fact that you can only lookup text fields and most of my columns are not text but person/group or choice column. Tom my understanding the only solution to this is to copy each column (such as person) and maintain it also as a text field and then lookup that field, but this is very robust. 

Still I have no other choice if I would like my data top remain in the Sharepoint realm.

So there's no real question here- Im making sure that indeed the only option I have is to create a duplication of each column that I would like to lookup and make it a text field

Maybe the solution lies in PowerApps? Because I know you can override the lookup constraint there...

Will appreciate any thoughts on this matter before I dive into my ERD 

Gali

3 Replies
best response confirmed by GaliGonen3555 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@GaliGonen3555 You are correct. Lookup columns only support below column types:

• Single line of text

• Number

• Date and Time

• Lookup (single value)

If you are using other column types, you have to maintain the copy of data in both lists. You can use power automate flows to copy the data from one list to another list whenever a item is created/updated in a list.

Microsoft documentationCreate list relationships by using lookup columns 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks! do you think maybe it would be preferable to try out Microsoft Dataverse and create tables and relationships?

@GaliGonen3555 It depends on your requirements. If you are going to use the tables & data to build apps/solutions using Power platform (power apps, etc.), you should try Microsoft Dataverse tables and relationships

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GaliGonen3555 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@GaliGonen3555 You are correct. Lookup columns only support below column types:

• Single line of text

• Number

• Date and Time

• Lookup (single value)

If you are using other column types, you have to maintain the copy of data in both lists. You can use power automate flows to copy the data from one list to another list whenever a item is created/updated in a list.

Microsoft documentationCreate list relationships by using lookup columns 

View solution in original post