SOLVED

Introducing a SharePoint app bar that features global navigation

MVP

Microsoft is introducing a SharePoint app bar in SharePoint online that will feature global navigation in your SharePoint modern communication and team sites.

The SharePoint app bar brings a consistent navigation experience to every site on your intranet, featuring quick access to important sites across the organization with global navigation, personally relevant sites, news feed and the files.

Enabling and customizing global navigation in SharePoint requires a home site.

sharepoint-app-bar-in-sharepoint-online.png

Read more about: 

1. SharePoint app bar experience
  2. Key Highlights
  3. Impact of SharePoint app bar on page customizations
  4. How to disable the SharePoint app bar?
  5. How to enable the SharePoint app bar?
  6. Release Timeline

Link to articleIntroducing a SharePoint app bar that features global navigation 

67 Replies

@Colleen Parker Did you enable the global navigation in SharePoint app bar?

If global navigation is enabled, home icon will show you the global navigation links and if it is disabled, the home icon will link to the SharePoint start page.

When you set up a home site, you can enable and customize global navigation in SharePoint app bar and you can add the navigation links from "Global navigation settings" as per your requirements.

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

@ganeshsanap I've enabled the Global Navigation in the SharePoint app bar and have set in the main hub site to use the "Hub or global navigation" option. Like many people who have complained, I do NOT want to use the Home site navigation option because my other business lines have unique menus that do NOT include items in the primary company "hub" site.

I've attached a screen shot with callouts. Basically what I want doesn't appear to exist.

@Colleen Parker It might not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think below blog by @Marc Anderson will definitely help you:

Showing the Intranet’s Link in the App Bar’s Global Navigation 

This is EXACTLY what I needed, thank you!

@Colleen Parker You are welcome. Glad it helped you!

Hey folks, I need to activate the bar, but my powershell says that the cmdlet is not available. i have the SPO-Powershell version 16.0.20324.12000 . What can I do to activate the bar for my customer?
Please rethink adding "Lists" to the SharePoint App Bar unless it can be a choice whether to show it. We have many lists in our company that people interact with via a PowerApp or an approval Flow, but they don't ever need to see the actual list. Why would we want them to? Exposing recently visited lists so readily is inviting trouble and confusion for non-power users.
This is a very good point. In addition to approval flows and other "behind the scenes" uses, we've added a variety of lists that are used to display a filtered subset of cards on a Home Site page. People don't need to be directed to view these full lists, as that could cause confusion.
Perhaps there could be a property of a list (particularly in SharePoint, less of a concern for personal lists) to hide it from feeds and such other than to populate web parts on published pages. So long as they can be found in Site Contents, we can still direct those who need access to find the lists without requiring a direct URL.