SOLVED

Introducing a SharePoint app bar that features global navigation

MVP

Microsoft is introducing a SharePoint app bar in SharePoint online that will feature global navigation in your SharePoint modern communication and team sites.

The SharePoint app bar brings a consistent navigation experience to every site on your intranet, featuring quick access to important sites across the organization with global navigation, personally relevant sites, news feed and the files.

Enabling and customizing global navigation in SharePoint requires a home site.

sharepoint-app-bar-in-sharepoint-online.png

Read more about: 

1. SharePoint app bar experience
  2. Key Highlights
  3. Impact of SharePoint app bar on page customizations
  4. How to disable the SharePoint app bar?
  5. How to enable the SharePoint app bar?
  6. Release Timeline

Link to articleIntroducing a SharePoint app bar that features global navigation 

67 Replies
That means Viva Connections currently is just a SharePoint page in Teams.
Obviously postponing the rollout doesn't mean postponing the marketing. 32.5k users have visited the article "Install Viva Connections today" - no word about a postponed rollout - just numerous frustrated comments. Not a good start...
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-viva-blog/install-viva-connections-today/ba-p/22454...
I agree. It's a bit frustrating after I had to tell our staff what to expect (have to tell them before something happens so they don't have a melt down when they see it) and nothing is coming to fruition.
Typical Msft....they love talking things up - things that rarely live up to the marketing hype - and then shoot themselves in the foot because they don't test adequately.
The Set-SPOTemporarilyDisableAppBar $true is not working

@Guilleni2050 Are you getting any error while running this command? 

Try running this command after updating SP online PowerShell module to latest version.

@ganeshsanap 

When using Global Navigation with Extended Header and Hub Sites, the Hub site move from top to the bottom of the background image/header. This only happen in the site I set as a Home site.  The rest of the sites that are associated to that particular Hub, the hub menu still on top zone of the header. Does not look as the image they are presenting when using Hub sites.  Is that the correct behavior? users will need to see if the hub menu is on tob or at the bottom depending on the page they are? does not feel consistent.

@ganeshsanap 

Utter terrible design! The entire SharePoint online development team need to go back to website design school to learn some desperately needed fundamentals in website UI design.

@

DavidSlight_0-1624471586364.jpeg

@ganeshsanap This global nav bar does nor respect dark mode settings - am I missing something?

dark mode nav bar.jpg

@David Slight No, you are not missing anything. This is the how it is currently.

I have noticed this too in one of my site. SharePoint app bar does not change with theme change but the inner global navigation changes with theme selection. Here's how it looks on my site: 

ganeshsanap_0-1624515264586.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 
Is there a 'good' reason to make us use the app bar? We already have an app bar of sorts in our tenant as a result of an accelerator or overlay (whatever you choose to call a piece of software that expands on the existing SharePoint Online offering) and it is much more flexible and has a lot more functionality right now than this. I don't want to have one app bar fighting another app bar later this year because someone at MS decided we 'must' have this new, limited functionality app bar.
Please allow us to disable this one until we're ready to use it, don't dictate that we use new features when it compromises a service offering that already exists in our own tenants.

@Mark Kashman 

Mark, I feel that pushing customers to use such a significant UX change is a bit rough. Can the decision to force this change on us please be reviewed?

Agree - this needs to be done the way a competent company would do it ie an OPT IN feature.
Hello - Can i ask a question about the availability of this within the iOS SharePoint app. Will this be available at some point?
Is the plan for global navigation to be implemented into the Android and IOS apps? Similar to the mobile browser experience?
I both love and hate this feature at the same time. For my intranet portal this is perfect, I would barely have to do much to get this how I want it.

However we have built another portal for our volunteers (10,000) the base of which are not tech savvy by any means so we have spent considerable time and money customizing a few site collections to work like an application. The volunteers see nothing but giant buttons and can't click away from the site. They would also have NO business accessing our intranet portal or any other section we have setup. So for this "app" I would love the ability to turn off the app bar all together.

We also have project sites that are totally separate from the other two sections I mentioned and also would not have the same navigation or be connected to our intranet portal. So for this section I would love the ability to keep the power bar but customize the global nav.

We need the ability to customize it a bit more or turn it off where needed so I am not left scrambling to try and figure out the best work around for our volunteer section. I have turned it off in our live tenant and am working on testing it out in our dev tenant for now.
I've turned it "off" globally - because it's too intrusive for something of such limited value - by using our custom stylesheet injected with an SPFx extension. You could try that option and target the sites you want to hide it on.
Yeah I think this is the way to go. I already have this on another site where I wanted to hide things via css. It's such a pain to have to go around something that was already working for us smoothly. Thanks for the suggestion Matt.

@ganeshsanap  I see several people have posted that they  
a. see the app bar, and the global navigation icon
b. want to turn on the Global Navigation menu
c. do NOT see a GLOBAL NAVIGATION menu option in the menu turn this feature on

has anybody resolved this issue ?

thanks

@bflamank By default the global navigation is disabled & when global navigation is disabled or not configured, the default home icon redirects to the SharePoint start page.

So, you have to enable the global navigation & configure it in order to use it. To enable & customize global navigation, you must set up a home site in SharePoint Online. Check below article for detailed information about this:

Enable and Customize Global navigation in the SharePoint app bar 

Please consider giving Like if my post helped you in any way.

The primary issue right now is that when i open up SETTINGS, there is not a GLOBAL NAVIGATION menu option. I have confirmed that i am on the HOME SITE and i am indeed an OWNER of the site.
I see that a few others have posted the identical problem ... that Global Navigation does not appear in Settings. Beyond creating a new Home site and seeing if the menu option appears; is there anything else i should check ?

thanks
Can someone tell me how to get a clickable Home link in the App bar Global Navigation without duplicating the link displayed in the global navigation?