InfoPath 2010 to SharePoint Online Migration Feasibility

Brass Contributor

Hi

we have following scenarios to migrate Infopath 2010 to SharePoint Online. We do understand the long term solution is Power Apps regardless of the scenario. But lets think in short term we need , in some or all of these scenarios the InfoPath forms, "to be migrated" to SP Online as InfoPath forms. In this case, what are the best remediation techniques?

Note: if any of these scenarios,  remediation not available even as a short-term solution, please call out, as we are know those specific scenarios must be re-built as PowerApps from day one instead spending any time to remedy the migration issues

1. InfoPath form with one or more people picker fields

2. InfoPath form with one or more data connections

3. InfoPath form with one or more people picker fields and one or more data connections

4. InfoPath form with one or more SOAP calls

5. InfoPath form with one or more SOAP calls and/or people picket fields and/or data connections

6. InfoPath form with managed code

7. InfoPath form with managed code and SOAP calls

cc: Dean GrossBeau Cameron

Thanks

Thanuja

9 Replies
Managed code won't work, that will need to be replaced

Dean Gross:

you meant scenario 6 and 7 must-be rebuilt using PowerApps instead trying to migrate the form and search for remedies (where there are none), correct? 

First thing I would do is plan this migration carefully: How are you going to do the migration? Using a third party migration tool? If so, you could test your non-code scenarios to see if with a migration tool is enough...if not you might need to migrate the data model used in the InfoPath forms and then publish the forms to SPO

Tools will be metalogix. However, question is how these 7 different scenarios will behave once the migration done and what the remedies supposed to be to get them worked. e..g scenario 1, the remidy suppose to be re-configure the people pickers with Azure identity service?

I have not receive satisfactorily answers for these so far in the research, hence the question raised here

Well, as long as your forms does not have managed code they should work in SPO...and I say "they should" because I don't know how your forms are built and I cannot ensure you are going to face issues when publishing in SPO that's we I recommend you to start a test as soon as possible...just take a form where you have implemented points 1-5, publish it to SPO and document any issue you have and steps required to fix them.
I see also an issue here in regards of InfoPath version: you have InfoPath 2010 forms that should be supported in SPO, but this is something you also need to verify here.

In summary, InfoPath forms are supported in SPO until 2026 (that's Microsoft Commitmment), in your migration scenario you could have issues with the forms because of their version (2010) and also because they are coming from OnPrem what means you might need to republish them in case the migration tool does not migrate them to SPO

Thanks. Assume we have 1 to 5 scenarios (no source code scenarios) listed forms which apparently the tool (Metalogix or Sharegate) can take care of in migration.

Can InfoPath content files (xml files)  in InfoPath libraries can be migrated like normal content ? or in O365, InfoPath content library and data cannot be migrated just the form only?

Thanks

Thanuja

@Thanuja Seneviratne  Infopath forms (template) and list with data (xml's) will be migrated using Metalogix/ShareGate Tools, however post migration you would need 

Enable Infopath & browser service

Associate Infopath template to O365 List

Validate bindings and controls , views, rules of Infopath forms

Thanks @prashanthsparks . 

I have one more question on scenario 4 (InfoPath form with one or more SOAP calls). Actually it is a sub-case: We have InfoPaths having external data sources (Connected by .Net web services). What is the remedy for this when the form is migrated to SharePoint Online?

Thanks

Thanuja

@Thanuja Seneviratne 

Infopath forms will get migrated and OnPremises Webservices need to be exposed outside or hosted as Azure API so that infopath forms works.