In Modern Communications Site - Hide document library when User clicks on a Quicklink

Copper Contributor

When creating a Modern Communication site for sharing out information, I do not want the end user to peruse the sites document library.  However, when I create a link to a Word document stored in the document library using the modern Quicklink web part, it opens the document but also has the entire document path on the top left as hot link, allowing the user to click on the document library and view all of the documents.  Can this feature be turned off?

4 Replies

Hello @Susan Ford ,

Interesting question. I don't believe this is possible through an out of the box setting with SharePoint Online.  

I experimented with different permissions at the file, library and site level and could not restrict the ability to browse the related document library.

As an option you could isolate the files by sensitivity into respective document libraries or use a site page instead of a document.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Browsing doc libraries is a standard assumed way of accessing documents in SharePoint, if you have permissions to the library or the docs in the library.

Omitting the doc library from site navigation will cut down a lot on the traffic ("security by obscurity") but AFAIK you can't block the doc library from being accessed unless you do something extreme with the master page or something along those line (which might be a lot harder in Modern).