Improvement suggestions for new sharing features and a heads up

Steel Contributor

Hi all,

After some feedback and use for a few weeks now, I'd like to offer the following suggestions to improve the new sharing functionality in OneDrive and SharePoint.

1. I'd like to be able to see all permissions against a file, especially links granted to folders a file is within, these links provide access to said file but are not displayed. - See Screenshot One.
  2. I'd like to be able to change the default link type per site collection or even better per site, not just at the tenant level. This ability would reduce incorrect sharing in tightly restricted site collections. - See screenshot Two.
  3. I'd like to see the "Share everything in this folder, even items with unique permissions" option back again. This option would avoid potential security risks. - See screenshot Three.
  4. I'd like to be able to change the default option for Allow Editing. - See Screenshot Four.
  5. I'd like the "People in your Organisation" option to provide more information when sharing a folder. - See Screenshot Five.
  6. I'd like the permissions in the "Site permissions side menu" to reflect custom permissions against my site. - See Screenshot Six.

Hopefully, these points highlight to others some of the potential security flaws that come with modern document libraries and sites.

Has anyone else come across these yet, got any suggestions or have any more?

Thanks,
Andy.

7 Replies

Additional screenshots attached.

All of your requests are very valid points and I think you should go to user voice (for SPO / ODFB), check if these requests are already there and post them if that's not the case

Thanks,

I will do just that.

@Stephen Rice Thought you might be interested, especially if you're working on improvements at the moment.

Hi @Andrew Silcock,

Thanks for providing the additional feedback! On each of your points:

1) The request is for the case when you are looking at "Manage permissions" for a file and the link to a folder above said file grants access but is not indicated, correct? We're working on some updates to the manage permissions pane right now that are planned to address this issue (and more). 

2) This is also in our backlog. :) 

3) I'll pass this feedback along. I'll have to double check but my recollection is that we opted to essentially "check" this box for all shares in the new sharing dialog as it was very rare for users to actually uncheck it. 

4) Stay tuned... ;)

5) I'll pass this along. In general we try and strike the right balance between being too wordy (such that users just stop reading entirely) and providing enough info for users to make sensible decisions.

6) I'll pass this along as well. 

Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Thanks very much Stephen,

Yes, that's right regarding point one.

Great to hear some of these are on the way, excited to see what's on the way. Number six is a big one for us.

Thanks again.

Andy.

Hi @Stephen Rice 

Could you please confirm that "share everything in this folder, even items with unique permissions" is "checked" when sharing using "manage access" and "+"?

Thanks!