Image webpart - Add text over image

Brass Contributor

Hello,

It seems like I've lost a capability of adding text over image which was available function a day earlier. Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

See this image. I was able to add text over image no problem last night but saw this error message and grayed out function in the same webpart today. I checked Chrome, FireFox, and Edge to see if it is a browser issue. No, it was not. I checked if it was because of the size of image. No, that was not the issue. The error message and grayed out switch were shown on full size images as well.

Please help...

Thank you,

Rie0205

screenshot_image_webpart.png

11 Replies
It seems that Microsoft could have rolled out something that is causing this problem...open a support ticket so they can investigate what could be happening with this Web Part

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks. Just submitted a ticket.

Support replied: 

My name is Anifah, I am the ambassador that will be assisting you as regards this support request 21768659.

I understand that you get an error message on a SharePoint Image web part which grays out the Switch option.

I replicated the above behavior on my end and noticed that the error message appears when the Image is small for the web part and when the Image is enlarged or stretched, the error disappears.

Also after adding the text and the site is being republished, the error message appears however still saves and that may have not been noticed earlier.

@Rie0205, is there still no solution for this problem? We're having a related problem with one of our sites (University of Colorado). We're using a three-column layout, and we've placed an Image Widget in each of the three columns. These images are basically supposed to function as large buttons (tiles) that take the user to major parts of our site. The problem we're having is that the text overlays disappear at a certain screen width -- an unintended side effect of responsive layouts.

Illustration: On a very wide screen, the text overlays are displayed as intended:

DanRobinson_0-1638837802138.png

On a slightly narrower screen, however, the text overlays disappear completely:

DanRobinson_1-1638837872145.png

Now people have no idea what they're clicking on. Defeats the whole purpose.

If the screen gets narrower still, the Image Web Parts rearrange themselves into a single column, and we once again have functional "buttons" with text:

DanRobinson_2-1638837991281.png

So, the problem is just in that intermediate range. But it's a big problem.

@DanRobinson I haven't heard or seen any updates made on this problem. :(

I wish we have more options to change text sizes or colors...

I assume there is no fix for this problem yet? Seems like such a minor bug I can't believe it cannot be sorted.

@Rie0205, do you think I should submit my own ticket on this? I was thinking there was a Microsoft employee participating in this discussion, but I guess there's not.

This issue was creating enough confusion among our users that we had to redesign the page in question, replacing all the Image webparts with Call-to-Action webparts. That solved the immediate problem, but it makes for a worse user experience -- it doesn't look as nice, and users have to click on a button superimposed over the image to go to the target page. (Before, they could click anywhere on the image.)

Hi,

I would recommend doing so. Your issue is slightly different from the issue I had. I am curious to see if there are any solutions/updates on your topic.

Thanks,

@Rie0205 Yes I am also waiting for it. In my case , visitor permission cannt see the text whereas owner can see it.. Also, If we put 2 tiles(images) per section text is visible

@Rie0205 , DanRobinson OMG i thought it was just in the mobile view we had problems but i note the exact same issue as you describe. If you do go direct and get an outcome i would be really interested.

Do you know if this issue ever got resolved? As I am having the same issue. The overlay text has been disabled and I do not know how to enable it again.