SOLVED

Image/icon appearing as site name/title?

Steel Contributor

I popped into our tenant's admin center for the first time in a while today and noticed this little oddity:icon-as-site-title.png

Does anyone know how in the world someone named their site with an image? I believe these were created by way of Microsoft Teams, if that makes a difference.

13 Replies

I have recently started seeing images as display names in Office 365 also. Seems the fields have been updated to allow emoji style images. 

Pff, definitively weird....I will report this to team in charge of developing the SPO Admin Center
I blame that Tweet that went out awhile ago about giving Channels emoji names :P. Guess it trickled to Team names!
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Site name support emoji icons. These icons will show up in the site list.

Users can add these emoji's for any type of sites, not just team sites.

Call me narrow-minded, but this seems like a terrible idea from a management/governance perspective. If we're using, say, a Powershell script to routinely export a list of "recently created sites", how would those emojis be represented in text? Images are not text. Or are these emojis stored with 'alt text' or something like that which would be used for data operations?

Also, I would wager that many (most?) organizations fight an uphill battle with managing naming policies and getting users to specify meaningful identifiers. Then again, I guess the coaches of our basketball team could create a site with basketball emoji as the name, so maybe there's some utility in it.

Emojis are stored as unicode which is documented here:

https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

So there should be a way to handle them even in scripts.

Site URL's cannot contain emoji's as far as I know so you can still differentiate these sites by looking at their URLs. I would be curious to see what the URL's are for the sites you shared in your original picture.

@Sebastien Fouillade, here is another screenshot of those two sites (both named <crescent moon emoji>) and another I created via MS Teams with <ninja cat emoji> as the Team name. I can't see any correlation between the URL assigned an the actual emoji. I also find it interesting the the one created via Teams has the "msteams_" prefix. I assume this only gets applied when a non-text Team name is specified, but it would be great to have confirmation of that.icon-as-site-title-with-URL.png

I am seeing something similar in one of my tenants, but with IceCream cone emojis (yummy)

how can we use these emojis in site name? is it powershell way or we can use it when we creating new site collection via admin center?

The emoji input panel you can bring up in windows 10.
Thank you, yes, i can add emojis into any new or existing site collection's name.

Is it available globally or early release yet?

If it's available in EDU tenants, it's available everywhere! We're always the last to get the new stuff.

You know what, i tested in my SharePoint 2016 Tenant and it is working their as well....So looks like new for SPO not for SharePoint on prem....Interesting

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Site name support emoji icons. These icons will show up in the site list.

Users can add these emoji's for any type of sites, not just team sites.

View solution in original post