SOLVED

I can´t invite external Users

Copper Contributor

Problem: When I try to invite external users to my Sharpoint site I get the following error:

mhornoloopers_0-1669649934126.png

Things I've tried:

Checked admin sharepoint policy settings:

mhornoloopers_2-1669650054917.png

Checked admin sharepoint active site policy settings:

mhornoloopers_1-1669650042121.png

I'm at a loss as to what to do to be able to invite external users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If I invite an external user do I have to pay for their license or can they use the one they already have?

9 Replies

are you sharing at the site level or file/folder level?

best response confirmed by mhornoloopers (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @mhornoloopers 

Please check the tenant level sharing setting.

1. Open M365 admin center (https://admin.microsoft.com/)

2. Under Settings, click Org settings.

3. Under Services tab, click SharePoint.

4. Check your sharing option.

tenant-share.png

Allowing anyone to share the site is not a good practice and should be done when it's really necessary and just by considering the risks. A reason is when 3rd parties can share the information with other external people which might lead to data exposure.

@iamsarah I'm trying to invite external people (who also have microsoft licenses) to a microsoft sharepoint group (sharepoint then handles page permissions based on that group)

I checked this and it's set to New and existing guests. However, it does not let me invite guests at all

@iamsarah 

The intention of the screenshot is to check the sharing settings at Tenant level. Every organization can decide which option best suits for them.

@mhornoloopers 

Couple of questions:

1. Are you trying to share the entire site? Or a specific list / library or a document? 
  2. Is this situation happening on only one site or on all the sites?

Another possibility, the external user with whom you want to share the content might have not yet accepted the invite to become an external user in your tenant.

As additional info, this is a communication sharepoint site. I tried sharing it on a team sharepoint site and it let me for some reason
1. I'm trying to invite external people (who also have microsoft licenses) to a microsoft sharepoint group (sharepoint then handles page permissions based on that group)
2, I tried sharing it on a team sharepoint site and it did let me for some reason. The one where is not working is not a team site but a communicaiton site, in case that matters

I can also confirm the external user did accept the invite. I can see him as a guest in users
Closing down this issue because i've tried going into the sharepoint sharing settings again and for some reason instead of allowing external issues as it did when it first tried it was not. I don't really know why but it works now
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mhornoloopers (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @mhornoloopers 

Please check the tenant level sharing setting.

1. Open M365 admin center (https://admin.microsoft.com/)

2. Under Settings, click Org settings.

3. Under Services tab, click SharePoint.

4. Check your sharing option.

tenant-share.png

View solution in original post