I can not see option to create a communication site

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I would like to play with communication site but i cant see the option to create it.

i setted first release to everyone in update section and also setted site creation option to office 365 users groups.

than also when i click on create site button, i only see the team site template.

if anyone can help then it would be great help to me. 

Thanks.

9 Replies

Try using 'First release for selected users' instead.

It's an ongoing rollout being done in waves starting with First Release Select Users. It sounds like you have the First Release for Everyone option, which won't work currently.  

I know I lost access to creating communication sites when I switched to First Release for everyone when I wanted to test Microsoft Forms. I talked about this more here.

Here's a quick snapshot of O365 Admin Center so you can confirm that it matches your tenant:

First-Release.PNG

Thanks a lot MR. Cian Allner. your response helped me a lot ..

I tried first release for selected users but still it shows only team site option.

would it take some time to refresh the options ?

Enable 'First release for selected users' from O365 admin center. This will work..

site with 365 grps.PNG

Hi Sunny,
Jared Matfess and Cian Allner was right.but i think we need to do one more step.

we have to change "Create Site Command"  to A site With an office 365 group in settings of sharepoint admin center.

by the way thanks lot all of you.

@sagar savaliya wrote:

I tried first release for selected users but still it shows only team site option.

would it take some time to refresh the options ?

As well as what's already been mentioned I'd give up to 24 hours for that change in First Release to go through and also be aware the communication sites rollout is ongoing.  This was the last update I saw, from four days a go:

"We just expanded #SharePoint communication sites, pages and web parts out to a % of #Office365 First Release tenants"

So it's making its way through first release users and then beyond.

Hi Cian, My tenants have the Communication Sites capability now rolled out to them, but I see that the only way to spin one up is with the "Create Site" option from the SharePoint Sites page. It does not look like they can be created through the SharePoint Admin center where only classic site templates are available. Can these new Communication Sites created programmatically via an API? What's the status/roadmap for other means of provisioning?