Hyperlinks for Sharepoint Online

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I use Sharepoint Online (as part of Office365 applications). I have created a site on my Sharepoint Online, and I have placed an image on the home page of my site.

I have put a link on the image, but I want the link to open in a new tab. Can you please let me know how I can make it so that it opens on a new tab (rather than the current tab)?

I dont have Sharepoint software on my PC, so I can only use the features that are available for Sharepoint for Web.

Thanks

6 Replies
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this issue?

@Alirezaaminian it's not .currently possible to make it open in a new tab. It's a bit silly really as in normal web building the css change is very easy, but we don't have access to amend the css.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Hi Rob,

Thank you. But I think it is possible.
I used to work at a different company less than a year ago, and I saw that links on the Home Page would open in a new tab. They might have been using the Classic version (as opposed to Modern UI), but I am not sure if that matters.
I tried switching to classic version but still I couldn't find an option to allow me to open links on a new tab.

@Alirezaaminian 

Which web part are you using to show image on home page?

If the link is from external web site, it will open in new tab. But, internal SharePoint links will be opened in same tab. There are no out of the box settings available to change this behavior in modern experience.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi Ganeshsanap, I put a picture on the homepage, and then put a hyperlink on that picture.
The hyperlink is linked to a document that is uploaded on the "Document" section of Sharepoint. I am not sure if I can make it so that it would be considered as an external link?

@Alirezaaminian 

Try creating shortcut URL for your document link using online tools like bit.ly & use that URL.

Try it & let me know if it works for you.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.