'Hyperlinking' to a file explorer directory within a SharePoint site?

Iron Contributor

Let's say I have a shared drive with the following directory path:

S:\MyDepartment\MyTeam\TeamFiles

Is there any way to put this path into a SharePoint site so that when the user clicks it (as though it's a hyperlink), file explorer opens in Windows and navigates to the directory?

5 Replies

@Toby McDaid 

I have the same problem. Local links are not allowed in google chrome and other modern browsers for security reasons.

If you try in Internet explorer, the link will work as you want i to.

I solve the problem by installing a browser extension called IE tab. With this you can right click the link and select "Open in IE-tab". It opens the link in an internet explorer tab in chrome, which will open explorer.

Hi @ThueMj 

That's a pain, I wonder if there's any justification for why it was removed from modern browsers.

Out of curiosity, how do you create the link in IE? Did you simply paste the directory into a hyperlink control?

@Toby McDaid 

It is probably removed due to security reasons. If you link to a file, that file will be opened instead of just downloadet. I could be a dangerous script or exe-file.

And i am using a hyperlink control, where the url is bound to a path that i get from a database

why are you keeping the files on a file share instead of moving them into SP document libraries?