SOLVED

Hybrid search with cloud ssa and proxy servers

Copper Contributor

We have configured a new cloud ssa in our SharePoint 2013 farm and have successfully crawled on-prem content. We are able to search for on-prem content in SPO but haven't been able to search in this site from on-prem. We have configured a remote result source pointing to our SPO tenant and set this as default but get errors when we search from on-prem.

We had to configure the mssearch (crawl component) to use a proxy server to send the crawled content to Azure, and we assume we need to configure a proxy setting for the query component as well. Currently we get errors when searching the remote result source (in SPO). We can see in the ULS that this is caused by connectivity issues when trying to connect to a Microsoft owned IP-address.

I can't find any documentation or blogs on using proxy servers with the query componentand are really looking for any guidence.

6 Replies

How did you configure the proxy server for the crawl process?

Can you specify the exact errors you are getting during the crawl?

I've had some success changing the machine.config file so all .NET related processes are using the same proxy server. A good example can be found at:

http://www.sharepointrelated.com/2015/12/11/cloud-hybrid-search-proxy-settings/

Hi Thomas, we don't have any issues with the crawling. But to answer your question, we added our proxy settings to the mssearch.exe.config. We didn't change system proxy in any way, just the config of the process where we needed this. But crawling with proxies, we have resolved :)

Now, our query components run on other servers than the crawl component, and we have tried setting system proxy with "netsh winhttp set proxy" and by modifying the "NodeRunner.exe.config" with no success.

We have opened a premier ticket with microsoft as well, but trying here as well to improve our odds :)

best response confirmed by Petter Skodvin-Hvammen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

So did you try changing the proxy in the machine.config file on the query server(s) as in my referenced article? You need a reboot of the query server(s) after you change it btw.

I'm not sure if we have tried that. We'll try it out, and I'll report back.

Hi Thomas,

we have confirmed that putting our proxy settings in the machine.config, changing the registry followed by a restart, solved our problem. I don't have the details about the registry changes, that was suggested by Microsoft Premier Support.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Petter Skodvin-Hvammen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

So did you try changing the proxy in the machine.config file on the query server(s) as in my referenced article? You need a reboot of the query server(s) after you change it btw.

View solution in original post