SOLVED

Hub Sites: New registered Associated Sites not getting the shared Navigation

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I've recently starting using Hub Sites to connect various site collections to our new Intranet (Communication site). My first attempts to add 2 site collections to the Intranet Hub worked perfectly, both Associated Site Collections quickly got the shared top navigation. 

However, that was a couple of weeks ago and then on Tuesday I associated 3 more site collections to the Hub site and none of them are showing the shared navigation. Most of our site collections are the standard blue theme but one of the site collections I was associated had a green theme and once I associated it with the Hub site it took on the blue theme of the Hub, so something happened, but no navigation. 

Any ideas? I've seen this post (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Problems-with-cross-site-navigation-in-hub-sites/m...) and asked a follow up regarding permissions. But I have already checked that I have read access to the site collections, I am also an owner, and site collection admin. The sites I have registered this week are of the same types as the ones where it worked successfully (a mix of classic and communication site collections). I even tried dis-associating and re-associating with Powershell in case Powershell kicked off a process that the Admin console didn't, no joy. Our site collections are not customised, very vanilla installations. Any thoughts welcome (otherwise I will open a support call, thought it worth asking here first in case anyone else same issue).

Paul

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Paul Chapman (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Unfortunately we cannot provide much help here...this should simply work and best you can do here is report the issue to Microsoft support
Ok Juan, sounds like a plan. I'll get onto Support (and if there is anything useful that can be shared back here after it is resolved I'll post).
Ah, that's embarrassing. I went to log a call, and before I got to an actual person (luckily) I saw something I hadn't spotted before. Which is that the nav will only show up on modern pages. I had it working on a classic site already so thought it wasn't as issue, but turns out the earlier classic site has lots of modern pages, and the ones where it isn't showing up still use the classic pages. So I guess I need to decide how much work I want to do 'modernisig' pages in the newly added site collections. Wish there was a magic wand to convert classic sites to modern sites!

Soz for the time waste Juan!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Paul Chapman (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Unfortunately we cannot provide much help here...this should simply work and best you can do here is report the issue to Microsoft support

View solution in original post