Hub Navigation goes blank - requires refresh

Copper Contributor

My client is building out a very large Intranet in SharePoint Online.  We have created 5 separate Hubs.  Each Hub has it's own Hub navigation.  Each Hub has a link to the other 4 Hubs.  

When navigating from one Hub to another, the Hub navigation goes blank.  The space is still there, but it's completely blank.  If the user refreshes the page, the navigation reappears.  

This is consistent across different browsers and across different users. 

Will try to upload an image.

4 Replies
This is most likely a bug. I've had to submit so many context related bugs with modern pages. They get fixed quickly but it used to be you would use a link to another page, and then the site settings pages, permission pages, site contents search etc. would use the page you navigated from. This is probably something similar with caching that needs fixed.

I would report this bug to Microsoft, but as a work around, you could use a URL shortening service that points to your hub sites, then use these as your links on your hub navigation. This will force page refresh and you should be good to go. This is how I used to get around the cache issues before they were fixed.

@Michael Downing 

Hi Michael,

did You get any helpful answers from Microsoft? We have the same problem, 2 years after your question...

Thanks for any help,

Christine

@Cfrie47  - Never got a direct answer.  I am not actively working with that client anymore, so not sure if the issue went away or not.  

I can say that generally speaking, that anytime I apply changes to the Theme, Header, Footer or Navigation, I fully expect it to be on/off for the next 3 days.  Maybe it's best to always apply UI changes on Friday evening ad give it the weekend to propagate.  

I still face this issue every time I provision a hub using the PnP PowerShell. If I click on the 'Edit' button for the hub navigation, the items suddenly appear and stay there. But if I don't click it no matter how many times I refresh the page, it just stays blank.