How to setup and build a SharePoint structure?

Copper Contributor

I am still very ”lost” in how to ”best practice” and approach the setup and to build a structure of different Communication Sites and Tema Sites in a SharePoint site collection. 

In below listed url’s I replaced my SharePoint site name with the name ”example”, and I wonder if anyone can explain to me the purpose of the different url’s:

1) example.sharepoint.com seems to be the ”landing page” of my SharePoint site being a Communication Site, and from where I should build my SharePoint site structure?

2) example.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx seems to be the url showing all the Communication Sites and Team Sites created within a SharePoint site collection?

3) example.sharepoint.com/sites/… seems to be the url where all the Communication Sites and Team Sites reside?

Best regards,

Thomas

2 Replies

Hello @thomasknebel 

you can find more information about site architecture here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/information-architecture-modern-experience

About your questions:

1) Right, it's your root site. It should be the place that users start the work. It's a communication site and you can define this site as "home site", so you can build an global navigation, also to use it in your sharepoint app bar, and you can connect your home site in Viva Connections.

2) It's the sharepoint "start page", it's generic and not editable. Use it as "dashboard", same informations will show up in the sharepoint app bar.

3) Right, "the world are flat". All sites will create under /sites/. You can build hierachie with different hub sites and your global navigation.

Have fun with SPO.

Regards, Dave

Thank you so much @David Mehr for your detailed reply!

Very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Thomas