How to set up Sharepoint for Teams in Office 365 Basic Non-Profit

Copper Contributor

Hi Our charity has recently been accepted for Office 365 Basic for Non Profits which I believe also comes with Sharepoint. We have a number of volunteers who carry out various administrative roles and would like to have all our files and documents located in a single place. Previously we were using OneDrive and all having to sign in with the credentials for that account. All of us have Office 365 Home or Personal so already have access to OneDrive. We tried sharing files with users so they appeared in the shared section of their personal OneDrive but it get messy.

I read online about Sharepoint For Teams which would allow users to access stored files but also lists. we have a ongoing maintenance list and also a project list which needs to be kept updated as tasks are completed. Sharepoint seems the ideal way to share these documents rather than OneDrive.

My question is how do I set up Sharepoint for teams so that other users can access it.

1. Can they log in with their own credentials eg admin@contuso.com, Treasurer@contuso.com etc
  2. I believe they can also sync to the desktop by means of a OneDrive App. Is this a OneDrive for business app? Can it run alongside OneDrive Personal app? I am concerned it might effect their personal OneDrive storage.
  3. How can I make it easy to access Sharepoint. Do they have to use a web browser and sign in to Office.com or can you set up a shortcut URL to go straight to Sharepoint?
  4. Can a user detach email attachments directly to a Sharepoint Folder eg invoices? Or do they have to save them locally and upload to Sharepoint?

Lots of questions but I want to try and set it up correctly first time.

Many thanks

5 Replies
Can anyone point me in the right direction here please?

@ChristianJBergstrom 

Thank you Christian but that doesn't answer my questions. I read through these before applying for not for profit 365. I am asking specific advice on how to set-up and use Sharepoint for a team. There is a lot of information online about setting up sharepoint but I can find little real world help to use it. eg

• How do teams access share point? Do they have to log in to Office.com or can they access from within Mail.
  • I have read somewhere you can access Sharepoint from within Outlook desktop app but this seems to be for Outlook 2010 which had Outlook Today. Can this be configured in Outlook 2016?
  • If they have Office 365 Personal or Home as most do can you sync documents to your desktop. there is a limitation of groove.exe in that you cannot have more than one account connected to OneDrive. Is Not for Profits considers Business in which case I think a second instance of Groove.exe will install.
  • At the moment every time users try and log in to Office 365 they end up in their own private accounts. They have to use Incognito or Private browser sessions when logging in to keep the accounts separate which is really confusing for some.

John

@JFelstead As suggested you should reach out to one of the partners for non-profit orgs.

OK seems I have to do a lot more searching. I obtained Office 365 Non=Profits through a microsoft partner but like most they charge for support outside of simply setting up the admin portal. I was hoping to find a Sharepoint MVP or someone already using Sharepoint that could point me in the right direction. Ive already spent numerous hours with 365 tech support trying to add a domain to our new email system. I didn't want to make the same mistakes again with Sharepoint so reached out for help before blindly going ahead.