SOLVED

How to revert changes made to a list

Copper Contributor

I made an automation with powerautomate, but unfortunately it changed fields of already existing records to a certain value.

This automation mistakenly changed over 1000 records and now I need a way to undo those changes.

How would I go about it?

7 Replies

@msabau Is versioning enabled for this SharePoint list? If versioning is already enabled, you might be able to restore previous version of list items.

DocumentationEnable and configure versioning for a list or library 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Versioning is enabled, but for some reason I can only see 3 options when I right click on the list, I cannot see anything else regarding versions. For now, I spent a few hours to revert each single item from the list to the previous version and it was very tedious

@msabau Yes, it is a tedious work to restore so many list items. But, unfortunately, there is no other way to get the older information from list items other than restoring previous versions.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

But still, even though versioning is enabled, I cannot seem to find an option to revert to the previous version

@msabau Try these steps:

1. Go to SharePoint list, select a list item and click "Version history" from tool bar: ganeshsanap_0-1663310133975.png
  2. Click on small dropdown icon next to version you want to restore and select "Restore" and then OK in alert: ganeshsanap_1-1663310290621.png

Ok so I have to do it for every record separately, meaning there's no way to do it for the entire list at once
best response confirmed by msabau (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@msabau Yes, you have to do this for all the records where you made the changes accidentally. 

If you don't want to do it manually, you can automate the process using PowerShell. Check this article for more information: How to Restore Previous Document Version in SharePoint 2016 using PowerShell? 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by msabau (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@msabau Yes, you have to do this for all the records where you made the changes accidentally. 

If you don't want to do it manually, you can automate the process using PowerShell. Check this article for more information: How to Restore Previous Document Version in SharePoint 2016 using PowerShell? 

View solution in original post