How to remove SharePoint Site Owner from a specific Document Library

Copper Contributor

I have modern SharePoint Portal that has 300+ users.

I need to create a Document Library which needs exclusive access by a small group of people. 

Is it possible to remove the Portal Owners from accessing this Document Library?

Would appreciate some pointers.

Thanks.

3 Replies

Hi @KimHai,

if your "Portal Owners" are "Site Collection Administrators", then no.
They will always have access to the files unless you move them to another site collection. (Because ACLs are just simply disabled for Site Collection Administrators)

I suggest that you create a new site collection and store the documents in the default document folder of that site. Give just the permissions to the people that need access. Then link that document library into your portal via hyperlinks.

Best Regards,
Sven

Hi @Sven,
Thank you for the reply. Based on your suggestion, wouldn't that mean having to create and administer another Site and the Site Owner should only be member of the group that need exclusive access?
Our intend is to reduce the number of sites and have everyone Access the same departmental site. Are there other options?

Regards
Kim Hai

Hello @KimHai,

"wouldn't that mean having to create and administer another Site"

Yes, that is exactly what i am suggesting. A Site Collection administrator has access to all files in a given Site Collection. If you don't want a Site Collection administrator to have any access to a specific file, you'll have to move that file out of the Site Collection.
( You only have that problem with Site Collection administrators as you can take away permissions for a given file/folder from every other non-admin user-type )

If you worry about the administrative overhead with a second site collection then you have the same overhead whether you administer permissions for a folder or for a site... You just do it on another level

"Our intend is to reduce the number of sites and have everyone Access the same departmental site"

Reducing the number of sites is a good thing, but putting everything into a single Site Collection is bad. Over the time you will get very, very complicated permission structures and side effects that are hard to debug and explain.

It is better to think about a site collection as single application with a clearly defined scope, both in terms of requirements and permissions.
If you get new requirements, you need to match them to the scope of your existing site and create a new site if they don't really match that scope.
You will end up with multiple sites, but each will be maintainable.

Best Regards,
Sven