How to Prohibit SharePoint Users From Sharing Site and Files

Deleted
Not applicable

I want to prohibit SharePoint users (members & visitors) from sharing the site as well as sharing individual files.  So I tweaked the SharePoint site settings as follows: Settings > Site Permissions > Access Requests Settings

I unchecked the box for: "SharePoint access request settings allow members to share the site and individual files" which also automatically on checks the box below it.

SharePoint - allow users to share site and files.PNG

After successfully performing this task, I was surprised to know that users in the members permissions group can still share the site and individual files.  What action must I take as a site owner to prohibit sharing this site as well as individual files?

6 Replies

@Deleted They shouldn't be able to share.

You've verified they're not in the owners group, right?

Definitely not in the owners group yet can still share site, files, copy file link functionality, etc.

@Deleted Hmmm. Consider raising a support ticket with Microsoft about this.

No, they will be able to share always but only with users that are already accessing to the site what's fine: https://www.petri.com/disabling-document-sharing-users-no-access-spo-site

@Juan Carlos González Martín - Even if I un-check the "Allow members to share the site and individual files and folders" at the site collection level? That is counter-intuitive to label on the checkbox. 

@Juan Carlos González Martín  @Kevin Crossman  - To prevent file and site sharing as discussed, must this be done at the O365 level to disable SP sharing? I have done it at the site collection level via "Site Settings" but it does not impact members ability to still share. Thoughts?