How to leverage sharepoint column data in sync'd folder?

Copper Contributor

Hi all,  

I am struggling to understand how to fully utilize the metadata in a Sharepoint library.  I have a library sync'd with my OneDrive library, so it is visible within Windows Explorer.  That's great!  But the filters on Sharepoint only show me the ONLINE location of files.  In other words, I can filter a library and find all the folders tagged "complete" or whatever and voila - there they are.  But in order to open these files I have to download from Sharepoint again, which is silly since they are already in my OneDrive folder.

Am I missing something?  Is there a way to either copy/paste a file's location from online to WinExplorer?  Or can I incorporate - and sync - the columns from Sharepoint into WinExplorer and do the filtering there?

2 Replies

@DeclanHalpin I think what you’re trying to do just isn’t possible. I’m sure Microsoft’s thought here is that you should just be viewing the files in SharePoint directly. I imagine it would be difficult to implement all of the metadata related features in to OneDrive and File Explorer, but it certainly would be nice to be able to sync files in a specific view and I imagine that wouldn’t be too hard to implement.

I can see a future File Explorer behaving more like a web browser and integrating with SharePoint accordingly, but that seems like something we won’t see for some time, if at all.

@Alex Rourke and @DeclanHalpin 
As Alex replied this is not possible.

OneDrive has great features but also has limitations. The lack of support for metadata is one of them. Metadata support is not on the roadmap (here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=OneDrive#owRoadmapMainContent).

The future is almost here: there are already are browser-based File Explorer tools (see here)

Views are not yet supported but you can specify which columns to show in the Explorer tree. By default it will show Modified, Type and size. You can configure the tool to show the column with the status and then sort by this column.