SOLVED

How to import files and their properties stored in a separate Excel file in a Sharepoint library?

Deleted
Not applicable

In order to anticipate the adoption of SharePoint in a company (until the company matures and the conditions are more met to consider SharePoint use), I had started to prepare "the ground" by identifying and collecting some of the company's repositories (spread over multiple servers and unclassified) and centralizing them and managing in Excel in a table what would become the future metadatas. This technique made it possible to emulate tomorrow's research in a SharePoint environment.

However, now I would like to start going further by loading all these elements into a Sharepoint library. But, I don't know how to do this import process in SharePoint to reconcile the properties of each file (one line per file in my Excel table) and the files themselves that are not linked.

What would be the appropriate approach?

Thank you for your ideas?

Regards

8 Replies
You will need to develop a solution that makes this process because SharePoint does not provided it

@Deleted 
What kind of properties are contained in the Excel file? 
Are these properties like modification date, size, ...
or do the properties contain custom metadata like organisational unit, customer name, ...

Paul | SLIM Applications

@Paul de Jong The properties contain metadata such as: document type, scope, supplier etc....

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Am I to understand that"'there is no possibility of massively importing files and their associated properties in "only one time"? Because, then, the objective is to then manage this only in SharePoint and natively. Because I don't want to re-enter all these properties on hundreds of files.

@Deleted Another option would be to import all the files into the library and then use the quick edit feature to do a mass update of properties.

I remember having to do something similar a long time ago and as well as using quick edit to manually update lots of files at once I also made use of the Default options in different metadata fields. So if I had a document type field for instance I would change the default option to 'option a' and then import all the option a files. Then change the default to option b etc. Can save some more time.

The other way we managed this was with custom code for a different project but it was a long undertaking (for 0000's of files).

@Steve Pucelik 

Is it in the idea that this means that we should consider copying and pasting for all columns and rows? That's what I think I understand in your answer and that I'm a little afraid of.
I deduce that I have to give up the idea of finally being able to import metadatas through a mechanism that ultimately does not simply exist.

best response
Solution

@Deleted Only populate the value in the first column and then "grab" it in the bottom right corner like Excel and drag it down the rest of the columns.

Agreed this is a little laborious however the alternative would be a 3rd party tool or a PowerShell script that uses the Excel file as the initial metadata source.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@Deleted Only populate the value in the first column and then "grab" it in the bottom right corner like Excel and drag it down the rest of the columns.

Agreed this is a little laborious however the alternative would be a 3rd party tool or a PowerShell script that uses the Excel file as the initial metadata source.

View solution in original post