how to hide list column names from Contributors

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I have a Sharepoint list that has some sensitive data.  I would like to know if there is a way where I can have the owners of the list be able to see the actual column names but those in the standard contributor role would not be able to see the column names of the list?  If I did a show/hide column option, I believe that a user can actually update their own view so that all the column headings would be seen.  Thank you so much for your help.

5 Replies

@RobyRajan there is no way to hide the column names in the way you suggest.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott 

oh ok.  thank you for checking.  have a great day.

@RobyRajan  I don't know your requirements, but PowerApps sounds like a better solution if you need column level permissions. 

If your only option is SharePoint, you could look at a custom permission levels.  You can start with Contribute level permissions, and remove the ability for them to create views, create alerts, add the web part to a home page, or view any version history.  You would also need to remove it from the search results (under Advanced settings).   You'll have to do lots of testing to close off any loopholes.  

On Prem

User permissions and permission levels in SharePoint Server - SharePoint Server | Microsoft Docs

Understanding permission levels in SharePoint - SharePoint in Microsoft 365 | Microsoft Docs

PamDeGraffenreid_1-1654217871702.png

@PamDeGraffenreid 

Thank you so much for the advice.  We are using powerapps however we were trying to find ways to make sure that someone does not find the sharepoint list entries when doing a search.  I will check the sharepoint settings as you suggested.  Thank you so much for your help.

Hiding from search is easy - in the list settings, under advanced, you can remove the list from search.  

PamDeGraffenreid_0-1654612349660.png