SOLVED

How To Hide a field in modern sharepoint list "edit form"?

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I would like to hide multiple fields in a modern SharePoint edit form (and currently I don't want to use PowerApps customizations)

https://*tenantname*.sharepoint.com/sites/*sitename*/Lists/*listname*/NewForm.aspx

Notes and another technical fields should be hidden for a basic user.

Is there any option to create multiple "form views" for a form, which differ in fields?

Also I would like to hide some options in a multiple select list, which cannot be not selected in the edit form.

Draft

Pending

Checked - This option should "unable to be selected" on the form

Completed - This option should "unable to be selected" on the form

5 Replies
best response confirmed by tibork (Copper Contributor)
Solution
My understanding is that PowerApps customisation is the only out the box way.

@tibork Have you tried managing your content types? If content type management is on, then you can use that as a way to hide certain fields from the New Item form (I do that all the time to make Title go away).

You might be able to create different input forms per content type if you need different input forms for different people, but I don't think there's any way to restrict users from one content type or another.

@tibork You can hide fields on selected forms through PowerShell. I've done it once and it seemed to work well. Here's a document that shows some sample code https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/ea664c9a-7bbb-4c18-846a-8b6a6989f14d/hide-col... 

Each field has a .ShowInEditForm and .ShowInNewForm and .ShowInViewForm property that you can get to.

Agree here with the comments already posted:
- Use different content types in your lists
- User PowerApps
Additional to this two options, you have the possibility to make custom dev using SPFx
Hi Robin,

this method breaks with the modern UI, after setting one of these properties to true, the modern Edit/new form won´t open anymore... clicking on new will open the classic new form instead.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tibork (Copper Contributor)
Solution
My understanding is that PowerApps customisation is the only out the box way.

View solution in original post