How to have users subscribe to an email distribution list/group on Sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am creating a data sharing platform on sharepoint in which I want to update groups of members that files to their interest have been added. 

At this moment I have a flow running that will check if a file has been added to the document library, check the 'filter criteria' in another column of that file and will send out a daily digest at the end of the day to an office 365 group (linked to whole sharepoint). As I foresee many files being uploaded in the future I don't want to overload all sharepoint members with updates on files that are likely not interesting to them.

So my idea is to set up individual flows that will send out an email only to a group of member that is actually interested based on the filter given to that file. 

My next challenge is how I conveniently create and manage those groups?

Ideally I have two options available:

1. I can send an email to a security group of the Sharepoint (not sure how I make this possible)
  2. Users of the sharepoint can indicate on the sharepoint that they want to receive updates if files with specific filters are uploaded

I am a bit stuck on how to set this up, any suggestions would be highly appreciated. 

Ps. Currently the native email notification functionality of sharepoint online is not working as my organisation spam filters block them, hopefully this will be updated some time.. 

3 Replies

Hi @sbutter,

Have you considered a "sign up" list where members indicate what their interests are and then the Flow runs against the "sign up" list and checks against the "filter criteria"? The daily digest could also include a link back to the "sign up" list where they can manage their interests.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Hi @Norman Young,

That sounds like something that could really help me.

However I am very new to MS Flow, what would be the best approach to set something like this up?

Thanks for thinking along!

Regards,

Sjoerd

Hi @sbutter,

The "sign-up" list should include:

• User as a person column.
  • Interests as a choice column that allows multiple selections; the choices should reflect the document library "filter criteria".

clipboard_image_1.png

The Flow trigger will be "Recurrence" and will make use of the "Get items", "Create HTML table"  and "Get files (properties only)" actions. 

"Get items" retrieves the rows in the "sign-up" list. 

"Get files (properties only)" retrieves the file information from the document library including "filter criteria". Note the filter query - "Filter" is my site column name.

"Create HTML list" will store results.

Here is an example Flow that will hopefully get you started.

clipboard_image_0.png

My example is simple. A more elegant Flow should be created to handle the "filter criteria" that your document library and users may have.

I hope this helps.

Norm