How to gain access to SPO site as global admin?

Copper Contributor

Hi there!

I know that similar questions were asked and answered in 2017, but with the new SP Admin experience, I wonder if there's a less complex way to do this.

I'm trying to access a SPO site, using a Office 365 Global Admin account that does not have a license assigned.

When I try to access https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/the_site_in_question, I'm being told that I have to request access.

How can I provide that admin account with the required permissions?

The primary site collection admin is "Company Administrator".

The admin account is added as secondary site collection admin.

Thanks,

Christian

3 Replies

@tethisIT Go to SharePoint Admin Console and set that user as Site Collection Admin.

Global Admins do not have default access to SharePoint site collections. They need to be set on a per site collection basis.

Also, if the user isn't licensed for SharePoint that likely will also prevent entry.

You don't need a SPO license to grant access to a SPO site...of course, to be legally compliant that license must be provided to any corporate user that is accessing a site. Additionally to the ability to add your global admin as a secondary admin to a site by means of the Classic or the Old Admin Center, you can aslo rely on PowerShell to automate that task
Thanks @Juan Carlos González Martín and @Kevin Crossman

To be honest, I'm hesitant to change the Site Collection Admin from "Company Administrator" to myself, because I'm not sure if I can get back to "Company Administrator" :)
But I will try.