How to enable Files-On-Demand on SharePoint?

Iron Contributor

Hello

I know how to enable Files-On-Demand in OneDrive.

I also want to understand how to enabled Files-On-Demand on SharePoint online when we use SharePoint Sync? Is there any kind of setting need to enable like I did in OneDrive client?

Avian

10 Replies
Files OnDemand is not a feature you enable/disable in SPO / ODFB...it's provided by the ODFB Sync Client as long as you have Windows 10 as OS with the required update

@Avian 1 

for more details about files on Demand setting in One Drive you may refer to the below article...

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Video-Sync-files-with-OneDrive-Files-on-Demand-62e8d748-787...

Thanks

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Thanks for reply. I just want to understand how can I files on demand with SharePoint Sync? Looking for some basic steps.

@Robin Nishad 

Thanks for reply. I am just looking for some basic steps to use with SharePoint Sync. 

@Avian 1 

The article that I have shared with you ... has basic steps in it about Files On Demand... it also has a Video explaining the same..

Thanks

Hi @Avian 1 once On-Demand is enabled in your OneDrive client, it is enabled for both OneDrive and SharePoint, you do not have to further configure anything else. 

As a side note, there is a GPO policy that can force SharePoint online sync's to always stay as Online-Only for reference if ever needed. 

Hopefully this answers your question.  

@Avian 1 I had trouble with this. What you're looking for is the "Sync" button within your Sharepoint folder. Click this, and it will add the folder to your desktop synced items within OneDrive 

sync-1.png

After this, it will open OneDrive, and you can manage the folder and any settings from OneDrive, e.g.

teamsite.png

Thanks @44Aman 

However, whilst I can see this in Microsoft Teams:

craigwoodburn_0-1581315869971.png

I can't see it in Sharepoint Online:

craigwoodburn_1-1581315978516.png

Am I missing something? Perhaps there's an option you have turned on that I don't? I've checked IE, Edge and Chrome and all have the sync button missing.

Thanks!

Craig

I think I might be on the way to resolving my problem by following the instructions at https://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-disable-sync-in-sharepoint-and-onedrive/

It seems I had the sync feature disabled at the site level.

Problem solved!

Will this feature create problems for my organisation though? Does anyone have the other side of this story to tell?

Regards,
Craig

@Chris Webb My i know if there is nay GPO policy that can be set to prevent users from deleting files form the sync sharepoint library in file explorer