How To Customize SharePoint List View Filter Conditions in sharepoint online

Brass Contributor

I already have list library with data, and in that list library I have column called-Vendor, and i want to filter list library on the basis of value of that column.

Column can have following values

IT

Infra

Finance

and user which visiting on page can belong to any of the above vendor, so he only can see list items having same value in Vendor column.

so I am thinking to create sharepoint group and mapped user to sharepoint group, and then filter list  with value of vendor column=sharepoint group of user.

is there anyway I can do this?how to do this using sharepoint group ?

12 Replies

@rautchetanHere is an Idea. You create 3 groups IT, Infra, Vendor..

You then create a power Automate that runs when ever an it is created/Modified... In the Power auomate which is triggered when the item is created or Modified you check what is the Value. Based on the Value you assign item level permission for that item using power automate sharepoint connector... Its Simple to do it ...

@Maruthi Gadde 

Can I use power automate with Classic sharepoint online? and what about existing list items?

Do I need to update them manually?

@rautchetan . Yes you can use poweraoutomate  with classic as in your case it is running behind the scene. 

If there are a Lot of items , you can create a manual trigger flow to loop through all the items in your list and perform the same action (assign unique permission). 

You will maximum need 2-3 hours to do this.

@Maruthi Gadde 

So following action need to follow

create sharepoint groups

IT

Finance

Infra

then mapped users to this group with there ID( do we need to do this manually?)

then create power automate, whenever new list item get added, we need to assigned that to group(I have one column in list which have value equal to group and I need to mapped on the basis of this column)

but when user will connect this page how mapping will happen between user sharepoint group and value of column of list item , so only list items having value equal to user group can visible to user and not all list items..

@rautchetan Create three Groups... You will have the Group Id ( Example 31,32,33). If you navigate to the group you will see the Id in the URl. 

In you create /Modified you will look at the column that  which can have the values 

IT

Finance

Infra

you will then say if IT  --- remove all the permissions and give only Group 1d 31 read/edit... and repeat the same for the other two...

@Maruthi Gadde 

Thanks,  

following part I need to manage through MS flow-power automate?is that my understanding is correct?

"you will then say if IT  --- remove all the permissions and give only Group 1d 31 read/edit... and repeat the same for the other two..."

@Maruthi Gadde

Also, do I need to create three views for list library? one view for IT group, one View for Finance group, one view for Infra group.. and then using MS flow , I will hide/display view depend upon group of user connecting page?

@rautchetan SharePoint Designer can't be used with SharePoint Online, only earlier versions. It has been replaced by Power Automate and Power Apps.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super Use

@RobElliott 

Not even with sharepoint online classic mode?

@rautchetan No, not even with classic mode.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@Maruthi Gadde 

if I assign permission using power automate for each item and also created sharepoint groups,so whenever users visit page, he only able to see list items which assigned to group same as current user group automatically? filtering automatically done and we don't need to do anything?