How to created calculated Column

Copper Contributor

I'm sorry this is very beginner and i've tried to look up some syntax examples but i can't get the formula right.

i have a list that has a date column. I want to create a calculated column that takes that date and displays it as a string type (for filtering purposes) so i THINK the formula i want is something like

"=Text([WE Date])" but i know that's not exactly correct. 

4 Replies

@Kyle_Johnston Follow below steps:

1. Create a column (say START DATE/TIME) with column type 'Date and Time'.

2. Now I want to convert START DATE/TIME column to datatype 'string'. So, create a new column with type CALCULATED.

3. In 'Additional Column Settings', use the formula =TEXT([Start Date/Time],"DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm") and select the data type returned as SINGLE LINE OF TEXT (syntax: =TEXT([Column_Name],"DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm")). This syntax will display the time in 24 hour format.

4. Click OK.

Now, this field will hold the given data/time input in string format. You can hide this column from users and can apply filtering/sorting to display data.

Hope this helps!

It worked for me.

Last Edit: 12/30/2019 2:01 PM CST 

@ellan1537 

I've done that several times, i'm so confused. 

image.png

You can see i'm creating a column named dateString. I've selected calculated. the formula i am using is "=[WE Date]" and im returning a single line of text. I press okay and sharepoint gives me an error. It does not create the column. 

Try this syntax. It worked for me.
=TEXT([Column_Name],"DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm")

Eg: =TEXT([Start Date/Time],"DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm")

This syntax will display the time in 24 hour format.

@ellan1537 I just realized, I think It's because i have 37,000 items in this sharepoint list and therefore exceeds the list view threshold.... but i don't ever actually VIEW this list?? i use it as a data source for powerapps.

clipboard_image_0.png