How to access SharePoint site where the office 365 Group is deleted?

Copper Contributor

I have set up a retention policy on Locations: SharePoint that prevents SharePoint sites from being deleted. When I create a Teams team (and also a sharepoint site), and then deletes this team - the Office 365 Group owning the site is deleted along with messages, channels and so on. The SharePoint site itself is correctly not deleted, due to the retention policy.

However, I cannot find out how I can access this site to get hold of the documents stored there.

SharePoint admin portal claims that the site is active AND that it is connected to an Office 365 Group, as well as the Primary Administators is set to Group Owners. The information (attributes for the site) also claims "Cannot find the Office 365 Group connected to this site".

When I try to open the site (with a global admin), I'm presented with a "You need permissions to access this site". Trying to change group owners from the sharepoint admin portal opens a window telling "We cannot find the Office 365 Group connected to this site".

Anyone know how I can access the content of the site under retention, when the Office 365 Group is deleted and long gone?

0 Replies