How many refinable managed properties do we get in Sharepoint Online?

Bronze Contributor

Hi All,

I notice  that that on a SPO tenant, there are a limited number of Refinable manged properties.

I wanted to know if this number can / will be extended by Microsoft or do we have to live with what we get?

We foresee a need to use a lot of these properties and we dont have to run out of them.

Regards,

Ramana

7 Replies

you have to live with what they provide. 

Dean is correct, you can use the refinable properties that are present on every SPO tenant and it's not possible to add new ones

I did read in a blog post (didn’t save the link to the blog unfortunately) that MSFT will increase the number of Refinable managed properties as and when we start consuming them. What we do notice on our “test” tenant is that while we had 100 Refinable string before (RefinableString00 to Refinablestring99), we now have this extended upto Refinablestring139.

So we wanted to confirm if this is indeed increased based on consumption or not.

Thanks for sharing your findings. That sounds like some undocumented functionality. 

@Mikael Svensonhave you seen this occur?

@Chris McNultyor @Bill Baer would either of you please have someone confirm that this is intended functionality and have someone get it documented.

I believe RefinableString goes up to 199. But, if you have 200 unique global string refiners you are doing something wrong :)

If your data is not overlapping, you can use the same mp for two sets of data, and give it two aliases for example. 

You can also map on sitecol level if data is sc scoped. So...the reusable ones which are there should suffice for most scenarios. I'd be interested in your scenario, and let me know if you didn't get idea of what I propose.

So initially, this is what I though was provided- 

Name

Type

Count

​RefinableDate

​Date

​20

​RefinableDecimal

​Decimal

​10

​RefinableDouble

​Double

​10

​RefinableInt

​Int

​50

​RefinableString

​String

​100 (now 200)

And yes it looks like the RefinableString is now increased to 200.

At the moment we dont have a need to use 200 Global refiners.

We do foresee a heavy usage of Content Search Webpart to show data and need for refinement/sorting, so we will have to start using these .

Now of course using them across each site collection is definetely an option and I could give different aliases on different site collections and mapping the Mp to different value will certainly offset the need for more managed properties.

This of course would mean we have to keep track of what value is mapped where on which site collection and over 5 - 10 year period this can potentially become huge.

Also if it so happens that a Refinable property is mapped to a value at a site collection level and if the same refinable string is mapped to another value at tenant level, what happens? 

So the question is will this limit be increased as we start using more or will it be set at 200, I did read in a blog post that as we start using more MSFT will increase them (Im frantically trying to locate where I read that)

If you use sc scoped mappings, they will show and be available only when searching within a UI in that sc. If you search global or on another sc, it will not be available.

You will also only be able to see this mapping at the sc - so no global way to see all mappings. But, I added an option to the Get-PnPSearchConfiguration in PnP which allows you to get all mappings from a schema at the level you query. So you could loop all sc's and get the info.