How long deleted items & site will stage in recycle bins

Steel Contributor

I were reading this article about recycle bin period in sharepoint online Restore deleted items from the site collection recycle bin and it says that the items and sites will stay for 93 days. but i am not sure how this will be translated, in these cases:-

1. Let say userA delete a file,doc or page, then it will be moved to the first stage. so how long will it stay there? 93 days?

2. After the first stage recycle period expired, will the item get moved automatically to the second stage recycle bin? if the answer is yes, then how long will it stay inside the second stage recycle bin?

3. also when someone delete a site collection, how long will it stay inside the admin center recycle bin?

Thanks

5 Replies
The 93 days applies for both the first and second levels

I think it's 93 days regardless of where it sits...

"In SharePoint Online, items are retained for 93 days from the time you delete them from their original location. They stay in the site Recycle Bin the entire time, unless someone deletes them from there or empties that Recycle Bin. In that case, the items go to the site collection Recycle Bin, where they stay for the remainder of the 93 days."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/office-365-sharepoint-online-data-dele...

Unless someone executes a hard delete as described in the article above.

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
The 93 days applies for both the first and second levels

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

thanks for your reply. so let say a user delete an item from the list and never remove it from the first stage recycle bin, then after 93 days the delete item will got removed permanently from the first stage recycle bin and will never go to the second stage recycle bin? is my point valid?

@Timothy Balk wrote:

I think it's 93 days regardless of where it sits...

"In SharePoint Online, items are retained for 93 days from the time you delete them from their original location. They stay in the site Recycle Bin the entire time, unless someone deletes them from there or empties that Recycle Bin. In that case, the items go to the site collection Recycle Bin, where they stay for the remainder of the 93 days."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/office-365-sharepoint-online-data-dele...

Unless someone executes a hard delete as described in the article above.

@Timothy Balk 

Thanks for the reply. so in general recycle bins for the site collections or the central admin recycle bin will keep deleted items (items,pages, document and site collections) for 93 days ?

second question. let say someone intentionally remove a site collection and then run this command Remove-SPODeletedSite to remove it from the central admin recycle bin.. then can we still contact Microsoft to recover this deleted site collection within 14 days?

@john john Yes, so long as the Site Collection Administrator does not empty out the 2nd stage recycle bin. There are other cases where if the site exceeds quotas the oldest of the excess content will be purged from the recycle bin. And the second question is Yes as well 14 days from the time when the purge is executed, Microsoft has to refer to their backups.

Found documentation that describes the Recycle Bin a lot better than the previous link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/restore-deleted-items-from-the-site-collection-recycle-bin-...