SOLVED

How do you add a picture library?

Brass Contributor

I used to be able to create a picture library from the + New  > App in SPO but I don't see the option any more. 
pic 1.png

I get taken to a blank SharePoint apps page. 

VictoriaSymons_0-1683737498609.png

I read that activating  Site Settings > Site Features > Teams Collaboration Lists - might enable it but this is already active. How can I create a SharePoint picture library these days? 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Victoria Symons (Brass Contributor)
Solution

It's possible that the "Picture Library" app template has been removed from SharePoint Online, as Microsoft has been consolidating and streamlining the available templates over time. Alternatively, it's possible that the template is still available, but it has been moved or renamed.

To check if the "Picture Library" template is still available, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to your SharePoint site and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner to open the Settings menu.
2. Click on "Add an app" to open the "Add an app" page.
3. On the "Add an app" page, click on the "From Your Organization" tab to view the available app templates.
4. Scroll through the list of available templates to see if the "Picture Library" template is still available.

If the "Picture Library" template is not available, you can still create a picture library by following these steps:

1. Go to your SharePoint site and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner to open the Settings menu.
2. Click on "Site contents" to open the "Site contents" page.
3. Click on "+ New" to open the "Add a new item" menu.
4. Select "Document Library" from the menu to create a new document library.
5. When creating the document library, you can customize the settings to make it a picture library by enabling the "Allow management of content types" option and adding the "Picture" content type.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved
If you like my response, please give it a like
Thank you. I can't find the picture library template but have adjusted the library content type as you suggest.

@Victoria Symons If you are using SharePoint online team site, you can add Picture Library from classic experience add an app page: 

ganeshsanap_0-1683894772863.pngYou can directly go to classic experience "Your Apps" page using URL in below format: 

<siteUrl>/_layouts/15/addanapp.aspx

Or follow steps given in my answer at: Issue with adding app option 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Victoria Symons (Brass Contributor)
Solution

It's possible that the "Picture Library" app template has been removed from SharePoint Online, as Microsoft has been consolidating and streamlining the available templates over time. Alternatively, it's possible that the template is still available, but it has been moved or renamed.

To check if the "Picture Library" template is still available, you can follow these steps:

2. Click on "Add an app" to open the "Add an app" page.
3. On the "Add an app" page, click on the "From Your Organization" tab to view the available app templates.
4. Scroll through the list of available templates to see if the "Picture Library" template is still available.

If the "Picture Library" template is not available, you can still create a picture library by following these steps:

2. Click on "Site contents" to open the "Site contents" page.
3. Click on "+ New" to open the "Add a new item" menu.
4. Select "Document Library" from the menu to create a new document library.
5. When creating the document library, you can customize the settings to make it a picture library by enabling the "Allow management of content types" option and adding the "Picture" content type.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved
If you like my response, please give it a like

View solution in original post