How do I set the number of draft/minor versions each major version can have?

Copper Contributor

Hi all

Microsoft claims (on this page) that in the 'Versioning setting' section within a document libraries 'library settings'  that we can "Limit the number of versions and drafts to retain".

But from what I can see  that is not correct.

I can limit the number of major versions:
'Keep the following number of major versions'

I can set how many of those major version keep draft/minor versions:
'Keep drafts for the following number of major versions'

but there is nowhere where I can set the number of minor versions, or minor version per major version.

Is this setting set at a different level, like at the site collection level or something, or is it just something that is not actually available?

Cheers

dB

4 Replies

@DallasBland I don't think you can control this, it works the way you have described, check image I attached, this will it will delete minor versions of 1.0 when 3.0 was created. This is what you can control

Thank you @SinhaKislay. I suspect this is the case. But what confuses me is that Microsoft say the number of minor versions per major version is set to 511 by default. Am I wrong in assuming that by default implies that it can be changed? 

Hi @SinhaKislay 

I contacted Microsoft Prem support and it turns out it is possible to control this minor version setting. Just not through the SP UI. It has to be done by powershell. See Example 5 at this linked article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-pnp/set-pnplist?view=sharepoint-ps

Cheers

Dallas

Just tried it out, unfortunately the PnP Example 5 just sets the number of Major Versions with Draft Items but does not limit the Drafts themselves, reflected in the UI Library Versioning Settings afterwards, same like the UI Config itself!