SOLVED

How do I restore a Modern homepage that was deleted?

Copper Contributor

Somehow I managed to delete the homepage to my modern communication site. Problem is, I can't find it in the Recycle bin!  Any ideas/suggestions on how I can recover that deleted homepage or how I can create a new homepage (not using a Title Page layout).

16 Replies

@Niki Felker wrote:

Somehow I managed to delete the homepage to my modern communication site. Problem is, I can't find it in the Recycle bin!  Any ideas/suggestions on how I can recover that deleted homepage or how I can create a new homepage (not using a Title Page layout).

@Niki Felker  any deleted page will stay in the first & second stage recycle bins for 90 days, now if you remove the page from the first stage recycle bin, it should stay in the second stage recycle bin. if you are the admin of the site, you can check the second stage recycle bin.. now if the page was removed from the second stage recycle bin, the only option you have is to contact Microsoft or if you use any backup tools to check previous backup jobs

@john johnThanks John. The strange part is, it's not in the first or second stage recycle bin - and it was deleted it yesterday. 

This might sound crazy - but make sure you are looking for the correct file in the recycle bins - e.g. is is actually called page1.aspx when you think it is called home.aspx, etc - e.g. look for anything deleted yesterday, regardless of file name.

@Rob EllisI just created the site so my recycle bin is empty. I've added content to the homepage and 2 additional pages that I have created. I think I found the culprit - just need to figure out how it happened and if I can get the homepage restored! I was using a migration tool to copy a page from another site and it deleted the homepage from my destination site.  Just sent an email to their support group hoping they can help.  Is there any way to create a homepage? I want the page layout that the homepage provides (without that annoying thick empty space the title page gives you at the top). 

@Niki Felker wrote:

@Rob EllisI just created the site so my recycle bin is empty. I've added content to the homepage and 2 additional pages that I have created. I think I found the culprit - just need to figure out how it happened and if I can get the homepage restored! I was using a migration tool to copy a page from another site and it deleted the homepage from my destination site.  Just sent an email to their support group hoping they can help.  Is there any way to create a homepage? I want the page layout that the homepage provides (without that annoying thick empty space the title page gives you at the top). 

@Niki Felker  if you are sure that the recycle bins are empty and no one has cleared the recycle bins,then this means that the page was not deleted. Maybe your home page is not actually deleted , it is just no more defined as the home page, go to your sitepages library and check if the page is listed there or not..

did the migration tool remove the homepage, or just overwrite it? if the latter, then you should be able to simply go back to a previous version of the page.

@john johnIt's not there.....the only pages in the library are the other 2 new pages I created. 

SitePages.png

@Niki Felker wrote:

@john johnIt's not there.....the only pages in the library are the other 2 new pages I created. 

SitePages.png

@Niki Felker  from the list activity it mentioned that you deleted the home.aspx 24 minutes ago, so this should have moved the page to the first stage recycle bin.. are you sure that you are the site admin for the current site? as only site admins can view the second stage recycle bin.. also make sure that no one have empty the second stage recycle bin by mistake... if those do not help, then the only option is to check with the migration tool vendor , maybe their tool perform some actions behind the scenes ..

@Rob EllisThe migration tool options were set to copy and replace, however the migration failed but it appears to have removed the Home.aspx page or replaced it with nothing :\

If you can do the library settings of the pages library see if you have the “restore this library” option. You might be able to get it from that, but be careful on the changes.
best response confirmed by Niki Felker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Niki Felker I know your question was from 6 months ago, but I just had a similar problem, except that in my case a user had deleted the home page almost a year ago. I found that you can create a new blank modern page by appending "/_layouts/CreateSitePage.aspx" to the end of your site URL. e.g. https://yourtenant.sharepoint.com/sites/yoursite/_layouts/CreateSitePage.aspx

That will let you create a blank modern page.

If you want to create a page with the default modern home page layout, you can use the Pnp (Patterns and Practices) powershell module for Sharepoint with the following couple of lines:

Connect-PnPOnline -Url "https://yourtenant.sharepoint.com/sites/yoursite"

Add-PnPClientSidePage -Name Home -LayoutType Home

(of course you'll need to have the PnP SharePoint module installed for that to work)

That will create a modern page named Home, with the Home layout, in the site pages library.

@frostydog1927 thanks for your post what I used indeed!

Just would like to add that after creating the new page it will need to be set as the Homepage by going to the "Site Pages" library and selecting the page and clicking on the "Make homepage" option.

Thank you SO MUCH FOR THIS @Ralph Boccalini 

I had deleted an announcement on one of my sharepoint sites and it killed the entire home page. I couldn't find it in the trash or anywhere. 

This worked to add the extra "createsitepage" at the end of my site URL and then go into the page library and set it as a homepage. HURRAH!

@Niki Felker  I don't know how to recover it. Could you guys send me a video? Which helps me.

Thanks 

@frostydog1927 Thanks, that worked for me too!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Niki Felker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Niki Felker I know your question was from 6 months ago, but I just had a similar problem, except that in my case a user had deleted the home page almost a year ago. I found that you can create a new blank modern page by appending "/_layouts/CreateSitePage.aspx" to the end of your site URL. e.g. https://yourtenant.sharepoint.com/sites/yoursite/_layouts/CreateSitePage.aspx

That will let you create a blank modern page.

If you want to create a page with the default modern home page layout, you can use the Pnp (Patterns and Practices) powershell module for Sharepoint with the following couple of lines:

Connect-PnPOnline -Url "https://yourtenant.sharepoint.com/sites/yoursite"

Add-PnPClientSidePage -Name Home -LayoutType Home

(of course you'll need to have the PnP SharePoint module installed for that to work)

That will create a modern page named Home, with the Home layout, in the site pages library.

View solution in original post