How do I order the selection in a lookup field?

Copper Contributor

I am using a lookup column in SharePoint to pull data into the list users use to create an order. Is there a way to order the entries in the lookup column? As an example if I have my lookup pulling in fruits in this order...Apple, Mango, Orange, Kiwi. But I want the lookup to display them as Orange, Mango, Kiwi, Apple...is there a way to reorder the entries so the users can view them in the preferred order in the lookup? 

Thanks

5 Replies
It items will show in the order they appear in the List. If you want to use an alternative sorting method then you will need to customise the List form using PowerApps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/customize-list-form
Thanks for the response. I have a custom PowerApps form that is using my lookup column. Right now the order is that is being displayed in the form is in alphabetical order. I want to be able to rearrange the order so that when the user click on the field in the custom PowerApps form, the lookup order is as desired and not in alphabetical order.
Is there a way to accomplish this?
Same issue here. I've sorted the default view of the list that is the target of the lookup column, so it appears in the desired order... But when I click the choice combo box in my Power App form, it is ordering them alphabetically anyway. Help????

@rkirk2k I WAS ABLE TO SOLVE THIS...

For whatever reason, PowerApps insists on presenting the choices in alphabetical order, EVEN THOUGH the list was created in the desired order (AND EVEN AFTER I went in and sorted the default view of the targeted list on the column holding the choices) So WEIRD.

So, I actually had the items in the list in the order I wanted.

Meaning - the ID field was in the correct order, but the column I was rendering continued to be displayed alphabetically. I had to force the choice control in PowerApps to sort based on the ID field in ascending order. It looked like this...
Sort(Choices([@LIST_NAME].LOOKUP_COLUMN),Id,Ascending)

@rkirk2k Awesome solution! :smile:
The only change I would suggest on your code is change the colons by semicolons: before this, PowerApps was pushing some syntax errors (at least in my current version at 2023, January). 

So, instead of:
Sort(Choices([@LIST_NAME].LOOKUP_COLUMN),Id,Ascending)

I would suggest someone to also try what worked for me:
Sort(Choices([@LIST_NAME].LOOKUP_COLUMN);Id;Ascending)

Thank you!