SOLVED

How do I change a user's personal site url on Office 365?

Copper Contributor

Office 365 used to update a user's personal site's URL after changing its email address to reflect the email change, but it seems like this behavior was modified sometime ago and now Office 365 no longer does this.

Is there any way I can manually do this? I tried Start-SPOSiteRename in Powershell but received this error:

Error Code: -1, Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ResourceNotFoundException,Cannot find resource for
the request SiteRenameJobs.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by nozhatwork (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @nozhatwork,

User's OneDrive for Business URL [Personal Site] in Office 365 is derived based on their UPN. After you change User's UPN [ Prefix or Suffix or Both], automatically these User's OneDrive URL also changes. This is done automatically in your tenant by Office 365 based on the User's UPN and as far as I know, Office 365 doesn't provide you with the option of manually overriding or renaming via UI or PowerShell. In fact, if you try running Powershell command "Start-SPOSiteRename" to rename your OneDrive URL, it generates one of the error like "This site template is not supported for rename" means that Personal Site Templates are not permitted to rename via Script manually at this point of time. Also, please note that UPN changes can take several hours to propagate through your environment.
Please refer to the below link from Microsoft on how UPN changes affect the OneDrive URL and OneDrive features - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/upn-changes

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Are there any guarantees of how long will it take to propagate the UPN change to the onedrive url, ex: it will always be done within 24 hours?

Hi @nozhatwork,

We might have to wait up to 24 hours. As per Microsoft, It might take up to 24 hours for this change to take effect across all services. See this link from Microsoft - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/add-users/change-a-user-name-and-email-address?....

I hope this is helpful, please like it or mark it as a solution if it answers your query.

Thanks.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by nozhatwork (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @nozhatwork,

User's OneDrive for Business URL [Personal Site] in Office 365 is derived based on their UPN. After you change User's UPN [ Prefix or Suffix or Both], automatically these User's OneDrive URL also changes. This is done automatically in your tenant by Office 365 based on the User's UPN and as far as I know, Office 365 doesn't provide you with the option of manually overriding or renaming via UI or PowerShell. In fact, if you try running Powershell command "Start-SPOSiteRename" to rename your OneDrive URL, it generates one of the error like "This site template is not supported for rename" means that Personal Site Templates are not permitted to rename via Script manually at this point of time. Also, please note that UPN changes can take several hours to propagate through your environment.
Please refer to the below link from Microsoft on how UPN changes affect the OneDrive URL and OneDrive features - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/upn-changes

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

View solution in original post