How can I save a Downloaded document - directly to a SharePoint Document Library from File Explorer

Copper Contributor

Hello Can you help?

We are using Teams and SharePoint document libraries, but we need to be able to save downloaded files directly into the folder structure in SharePoint.

Scenario:-

Basically we have download a file from the internet - for example a statement from the bank, when it starts to download it asks you to save the file, and you can choose a local folder on your computer or a Shared location on your network via a mapped drive, I need to be able to save a file directly to the SharePoint library, but when you try to paste the link id for the SharePoint folder in the Windows file explorer save window is not able to connect to the sharepoint site?

Is this possible , if not why not?

Is there a way round this, the only way I can think of is saving the file to your desktop then uploading the file to SharePoint then deleting the file?

Seems bizarre with the push to Teams and SharePoint that this function is not available, it just adds more steps and duplication of files on the local machine and SharePoint.

I do know you can sync the SharePoint document library with Overdrive so the document library is listed in your file explorer window, but the problem with this is if your on a slow internet connection and the sync is taking ages to upload your changes but you have a business requirement for the documents to be there immediately because you don't have the required time to let the sync take place, not being able to save directly is slowing the business down.

Also say you have a sharepoint site the whole company uses, you save the file to the onedrive synced folders then the file has to sync to online but also sync on everyone else computers, so on your machine there is a upload happening, surely it would be better to save to the online first and then let your machine sync and download the changes?  If you can save to online first the file is there available for everyone via Sharepoint online if they need it now.

Hope this makes sense,  am I missing something here?  I haven't been able to find a clear answer, please help thanks.

3 Replies
It sounds like Sync would be the most viable option for you.

Assuming you are using Windows 10 or Mac, with the latest OneDrive for Business app installed, then that sync process would use Files On Demand - so any file you upload would not automatically be synced down to other machines - unless those users happen to click on that file to open it.

@Rob Ellis 

Hi Rob, yes we are currently using the Onedrive and files on demand, but when the file has finished uploading the place holder for the file online is downloaded to the local machine for everyone. This does work but often can be slow to upload (on a slow internet connection) which is what is causing the issue , the slowness.

I've been investigate and testing for an hour and its seems this is a authentication issue with Windows 10?

I Don't fully understand why,  but if I copy the Sharepoint link into Internet explorer 11, I go through the authentication process then when I try to save the files again directly to the sharepoint link it works I can save directly to Sharepoint?

My understanding is that whenever you connect to a Url from Windows explorer - it is using IE to connect (regardless of your default browser setting) - so as long as you have IE correctly configured (in terms of security zones, trusted sites, etc.) and the user has a current login session (e.g. cookies have been set in IE), then you should have a better experience.