how can I disable old Sharepoint site?

Iron Contributor

It seems there are two type of Sharepoint site now.

Legacy one which is under 'site collection hierarchy', and new ones which has ~.com/site/ address.

I only want to use new ones since it connects to 'groups' directly, so all Teams and yammer and other functions are connected beautifully.

Legacy one, I don't know, it seems it has little bit different permission system and so on.

So, how do I disable legacy one or delete it?

If I click 'sharepoint' tile, I always see legacy Sharepoint site which I do not want to use.

5 Replies

Hi Juhun,

you could do this from the SharePoint Admin center. As the new sites are not available yet you can see exactly which ones are older. 

But you may check up front with your users if you may delete it and if they do not need special permissions.

kr,

Paul

Basically you can delete any site collection that is not in use, but don't delete the root site collection to avoid problems with your SPO tenant...also FYI, you can have modern stuff also in legacy site collections; modern libraries, modern lists, modern pages
Thanks. I found Sharepoint site collection deletion button.

If I delete this site collection, will my group sites(new Sharepoint sites) be okay? or are they going to be deleted too?
Thanks. I already deleted site collection sites, I was asking root site deletion.
I want to disable root site since every Sharepoint site in my tenant is group site(new Sharepoint site) now.
I may can just ignore this, but it is annoying seeing old site on Sharepoint portal every time.

Hi Kim,

you can also upgrade the experience to the new experience...