Highlighted Content web part - some items don't open on SharePoint app

Bronze Contributor

Issue overview

The SharePoint app fails to navigate to an item rendered in a Highlighted Content Webpart (HCWP), when that HCWP is configured to:

• Display items with source ‘the page library’
  • Use Grid layout OR Filmstrip layout

This issue can be reproduced on at least 2 tenants:

• one targeted release for all users
  • one standard release for all users

The issue has been reproduced on 3 different Android devices, running version 3.9.0 of the SharePoint app.

Our investigations so far indicate the issue is very specific – affecting the HCWP only when ‘Source’ is ‘The page library on this site’ AND Layout is ‘Grid’ or ‘Filmstrip’.

Pages (site pages) and news post pages are both affected.

Navigating to the targeted pages directly in the SharePoint app is successful – pointing to the HCWP via SharePoint app being the root cause, not the pages themselves.

Navigating to the homepage in the Chrome mobile browser, then tapping on the pages in the HCWP is also successful – which again, points to the issue being the combination of HCWP and SharePoint app – not the HCWP alone.

We have no access to an iOS device, so this has not been tested on one.

Steps to reproduce

1. On a modern site, in the SitePages library, create and publish 2 or more site pages – these don’t need to have anything on them
  2. Edit the homepage, and add a Highlighted Content Webpart
  3. Configure the webpart to use Source ‘The page library on this site’, and Layout ‘Grid’ OR ‘Filmstrip’
  4. Publish the page
  5. In a desktop browser, ensure that the webpart displays the site pages you previously created
  6. In the SharePoint app on a mobile device, load the site, and ensure that the webpart displays the site pages as per the desktop browser
  7. Tap on one of the test pages – note that the item is shown with a highlighted border - but navigation to the page does not occur
  8. In the desktop browser, edit the homepage again, and change the HCWP to use the List layout.
  9. Publish the page
  10. On the mobile device, reload the page
  11. Tap one of the test pages – it will load successfully
  12. On the desktop browser, edit the homepage again
  13. Change the HCWP config to use Source ‘This site’ and use Layout ‘Grid’ OR ‘Filmstrip’
  14. Publish the page again
  15. On the mobile device, reload the homepage
  16. Tap one of the test pages – note that it loads correctly

I've got a ticket open with support - but thought this might be of interest to the community.

12 Replies
update - still reproducible on app v 3.12.0

@Bruno Aleixo are you able to get this issue some visibility internally please?  I have had a support ticket open, and they worked through it so far, but then told me they could not assist me further, and that I should open a ticket from inside the SharePoint mobile app - which I did, then got an automatic email back from the OneDrive team - and have chased that, but have nothing back in several weeks now.

Thanks @Rob Ellis for reporting this. We acknowledge the issue and have added this to our backlog. Will update this thread when I have an update. 

@AskSaurabh do you have any update to share about this issue please?  I have another customer who is affected by it, this time using iOS devices.

@AskSaurabh any update on this issue from the Microsoft side please?  I've heard nothing since November.

@Rob Ellis We had the same issue with this as well. We ended scoping this to SharePoint Site Collection and setting up managed properties to get around it and they worked fine.

Let me know if you wanted some guidance but obviously it would be great to see this fixed.

I also have this problem using Samsung Android. Works from desktop browser not with app.
Have the same issue on my tenant. Couldn’t find any info on it, so glad I stumbled on this thread. Would be good to hear any progress or a fix.
No progress as far as I can tell. The issue is still reproducible on my Android, and I've heard nothing more from Microsoft on this.
Still occurs on app version 3.22.0

Hello @Rob Ellis ,

maybe the rendering problem has got someting to do with Androids Older Versions and the google Play Store. The new Mozilla Firefox Version 79 for Android Devices causes similar problems, since it s been published on Android devices older than Android 5. It contains a new gecko-view engine and it is with Collections, storing the bookmarks and notes under OneDrive?? Don´t know if this is relevant. But I stumbled upon your Thread here, Mozilla Firefox and Edge seem to change their policies aiming to provide better performance with these collections, rendering is a side-effect on older Androids i guess?!... I have no clue why the UserVoice Supporters aren´t explaining it to you guys, so we have to guess.

Greets, 

Eva