Highlighted Content Web Part (HCWP) filter logic

Copper Contributor

As I understand it, if you use multiple filter conditions in a HCWP, the conditions are evaluated as OR's when filtering on the same parameter (e.g., Title = ABC OR Title = XYZ), and the filter conditions are evaluated as AND's when filtering on different parameters (e.g., Title = ABC AND Created by = Current User).

It appears, based on my limited testing, that this filtering logic also applies when filtering on multiple managed properties.  In this instance I want to filter on RefinableDate00 and RefinableString00.  Since these are different managed properties, I was hoping they would be evaluated using AND logic (Date is after [Today] AND String = ABC); however, it appears that the conditions are instead being evaluated as OR's (Date is after [Today] OR String = ABC).  I think Microsoft should upgrade the HCWP to allow users to specify how multiple filters should be evaluated.  

1 Reply

Hi @Gary_Stewart,

Your description of the HCWP filter is correct and is further explained in this Microsoft doc: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-the-highlighted-content-web-part-e34199b0-ff1a-47fb-8f4....

You should be able to achieve your desired filter using a custom query (KQL, CAML).

I hope this helps.

Norm