Hiding Comments

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am in the Army Reserves and am trying to build a Virtual Promotion Board page so that Soldiers still have the opportunity to get promoted during this self-isolation time. The issue that I'm running into is that I need a way to hide board member comments from other board members while I still have a group that can see all comments. This is so that the members with a vote won't be swayed by what other voting members have written. Any help is appreciated. This is using SharePoint 2013 with no access to Developer.

1 Reply

Hello @sedated_genius83 

I think there might be 2 ways to interpret what you are asking.

Are you gathering input to store in a list, that you don't want the person inputting to be able to see?

Do you want to have a list (or survey) and provide a way for people to complete the form/survey without being directed to the list of results when they click save?

I have designed a list just like that recently, by only providing the user with a link to the NEW form, and adding code to the URL that redirects the user to whatever other place in SharePoint I want to take them after they complete the form, thus avoiding the actual list.

Their entries are updated in the list, and that can be shared with only whoever you want to provide access to it.

If you are not gathering comments in a form... then here is my other idea.

Permissions. You can control what users can see with permissions at the site level and even different permissions at an object level like a list or comment board, etc.

Go to your settings (might be a gear at the top) look for Site Settings > Permissions.

You can create different groups, and control their level of permissions (such as read only, read and contribute, etc.)

Example:

• Site Owners
  • Board Members
  • Soldiers

Then you can also control what links in your navigation bar are visible to members of each permissions group. So you would be able to hide comments from members in your Soldiers group.

You would probably need more guidance on how to do that specifically, but the short answer is Yes I believe you should be able to control the access.