Hero web part text not displaying fully

Iron Contributor

Hi

I am using the Hero web part on a modern site home page (not a communication site) and want to have an image with text alongside which links through to a sub page. I can see how to change the layout to 'One Layer' enabling me to select an image with space down the right for my introductory text. I can then go to Edit to add the text in the Title and Description fields. Underneath the Description box it shows a '500 character limit' and counts down as I enter my text. However, once I have added more than about 350 characters, on saving the page not all of the text displays. There is ... at the end of what shows, but actually no way of seeing that extra text.

Is this by design? Or is it possible to display all of the 500 characters it seems to suggest you are able to enter?

Thanks, Laurie

13 Replies

It seems like a limitation to me. If you only have an image why don't you use Image webpart you can also get text centered , justified and display full text.

Thanks, yes I think it is a limitation or minor bug too.

I tried using the Image web part first, but I couldn't see a way of adding text next to the image as part of the same web part. I could only do it by adding a section with 2 columns and having separate image and text web parts alongside each other, which seemed very fiddly. Am I missing something with the image web part, can you add text around it, and if so how?

I have just come up against the same exact issue.  Have you found out anything else?  It seems to be only showing 4 lines.

Just adding my voice to say I, too, have encountered this problem and am hoping to find a workaround or solution for it.

This is an obvious bug. This workaround does not make sense. The text limit is 500 chars but the webpart refuses to display the number of characters that Microsoft has defined.
Most definitely a bug and one that Microsoft should fix.

I have seen this too - in my case I have 2 hero web parts on the one page, both as layers. Some of the layers had trimmed text (2 in each web part). The limit seems to fluctuate in where the trim begins.

In one case it trimmed one layer down to 234 characters but then trimmed another layer that had only 233 characters to start with (down to 227). In the other web part it trimmed 153 down to 112 and 205 down to 161. In all cases, as a percentage, the trims varied from 73% up to 97%, so that rules out a percentage display.

I then noticed all the trimmed layers had the text on the left, so I switched one of them up a layer to be right aligned. Not only did this fix the trim on that layer, but it also fixed the other (left aligned) layer in that same web part. When I tried this in the other web part, one of the layers was corrected but the other wasn't!

Any one else got any ideas (I have also seen a thread in the SPO User Voice and have commented with this info as well as voted for it)

@Laurie Willis I appear to be having the same problem. In spite of the text editor box showing 500 character limit with 264 characters left, the webpart still does not display the rest of the required text. Surprised we haven't had anything from Microsoft on this yet!

@Laurie Willis wrote:

Hi

I am using the Hero web part on a modern site home page (not a communication site) and want to have an image with text alongside which links through to a sub page. I can see how to change the layout to 'One Layer' enabling me to select an image with space down the right for my introductory text. I can then go to Edit to add the text in the Title and Description fields. Underneath the Description box it shows a '500 character limit' and counts down as I enter my text. However, once I have added more than about 350 characters, on saving the page not all of the text displays. There is ... at the end of what shows, but actually no way of seeing that extra text.

Is this by design? Or is it possible to display all of the 500 characters it seems to suggest you are able to enter?

Thanks, Laurie

@Laurie Willis I have confirmed this also occurs on the News (List View) web part.  It loads inconsistently.  Sometimes the descriptions load in small text, sometimes in large text, sometimes they don't load at all, sometimes they only load on one item.

I believe this is due to the way the page loads and dynamically resizes itself (Adaptive Design), but the web part is running script to determine what html to generate based on size, but if this code runs before the page is fully rendered it will return different results.  This is bad coding and a BUG.  The web part should recheck the width of the content after the page is fully loaded to determine how it needs to display the descriptions.

In my experience, this occurs most often in a 3 column layout in Chrome.

I am also having the problem in both IE and Chrome. My results are different each time I look. 

BTW, it is happening in the Hero two column.  

@Laurie Willis This is occurring for me too, interestingly enough, if I use Google to zoom out of the page to 90% or less, the text suddenly appears...but when I return to 100%, it's gone. 

Same problem here. This is very annoying because it undermines my whole layout plan. I don't get why Microsoft cannot easily program that this limit becomes actually what they say it is.
I did find a workaround. You can create the web part in layer view, Start typing the text you want. Then create a page with exactly the same text and even some more text if you want. Link that page to your Hero web part and choose of course the picture you want. But this is a workaround.