Help with content type

Copper Contributor

Hello, I was messing around and trying to add a content type and ended up breaking something in my sharepoint to where I can't add anything to my list anymore.

The only error I get is "Cannot complete this action. Please try again.".

I'm pretty sure it's because I tried to add a content type, but I have since deleted it, but now I'm not sure what is wrong. Can anyone help?

4 Replies

@as733y See if you have deleted a content type that is required. Happens usually if you added any list items or documents using that now deleted content type. Go to site recycle bin and try to restore what you've deleted if possible.

check this article on how to properly delete content type.

Hi Bharath,

I've restored everything in my recycle bin to try to troubleshoot my issue.

I've noticed that when I try and delete the items from my list that have been restored, I can't delete anything because of a "One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields" error. Does that narrow down what I should be looking for?

@as733y Did you remove the default item content type as well from the list or deleted any columns available in list before adding new content type?

Can you add any screenshots of errors which may help us to narrow down the problem further?

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsnap I'm not entirely sure what I did, but I didn't think I would completely break the list.

I went ahead and just rebuilt the list. I appreciate you trying to help though!